Thought for the day...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
People love cat videos.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article206905244.html
The KNXV livestream on Facebook had 678,000 views, 14,000 likes and nearly 10,000 shares – along with 19,600 comments, many suggesting possible ways to rescue the cat, though not all were serious.

“If you flood the city, the water level will be closer to the top of the (pole),” advised one commenter. Others demanded to know why firefighters had not saved the cat.

“Poor baby. Call the fire department to get him down,” wrote one. “OMG... please help the kitty. This is too sad,” posted another.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Luck is only a factor in the math. Luck is a time and a place that sometimes misfires while the ammunition is there.

"Who needs a mobile phone?"unknown-1940

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Family/ut...parenting-law-allowing-kids/story?id=54020213
The bill redefines "neglect" in Utah law so that kids can participate in some unsupervised activities without their parents being charged, a representative from the state confirmed to ABC News Monday.

“Kids need to wonder about the world, explore and play in it, and by doing so learn the skills of self-reliance and problem-solving they’ll need as adults," Sen. Lincoln Fillmore, a sponsor of the bill, said in a statement to ABC News. "As a society, we’ve become too hyper about ‘protecting’ kids and then end up sheltering them from the experiences that we took for granted as we were kids. I sponsored SB65 so that parents wouldn’t be punished for letting their kids experience childhood.”
It's sad that a law was needed for what most of us as kids were allowed to do without a second thought about "neglect".

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Family/ut...parenting-law-allowing-kids/story?id=54020213

It's sad that a law was needed for what most of us as kids were allowed to do without a second thought about "neglect".
I couldn't agree more. At the age of five I was walking to kindergarten by myself and the school had no concept of a "car line". You went to your neighborhood school and if you lived within a mile of the school you weren't eligible to ride the bus -- it was expected that you would walk. I think my mom walked me to school for the first week until she was confident I knew the way to and from school. I don't know whether or not she ever shadowed me.

When out playing or riding our bikes our parents set boundaries -- usually busy streets that we were not allowed to cross -- and told when to be home. We had wheat fields and undeveloped land to the north of us for about six miles and so we effectively had no northern limit to our wonderings. Lots of places to set off firecrackers and, later, pipe bombs. No one ever got hurt and no fires ever got started.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Interesting follow up on that article about the french waiter:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43554165
I've apparently missed why this is news.

Have we reached a point in which the manager of a restaurant can't set the expectations for how his staff is to interact with the customers and fire people that don't meet those expectations?

If a Paris restaurant hired a foreigner as a waiter and decided that the person was too friendly with the customers and didn't display the requisite distance, then they should have the right to fire them and the person claiming that they just come from a more friendly culture shouldn't make it some big headline story.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I couldn't agree more. At the age of five I was walking to kindergarten by myself and the school had no concept of a "car line". You went to your neighborhood school and if you lived within a mile of the school you weren't eligible to ride the bus -- it was expected that you would walk. I think my mom walked me to school for the first week until she was confident I knew the way to and from school. I don't know whether or not she ever shadowed me.

When out playing or riding our bikes our parents set boundaries -- usually busy streets that we were not allowed to cross -- and told when to be home. We had wheat fields and undeveloped land to the north of us for about six miles and so we effectively had no northern limit to our wonderings. Lots of places to set off firecrackers and, later, pipe bombs. No one ever got hurt and no fires ever got started.
When did all this change to the extent that such a law is required? It had to happen within the last generation.

From second grade on, my single mom left for work before I woke. I had to wake myself, dress myself, fix my own breakfast, and walk unsupervised a mile to the bus stop. Then, after school, I'd make my way home, let myself in, and do my home work. There was even a name for this that I remember seeing on a 60 Minutes episode during the time: Latchkey Kids.

Oh, and by the way, it's not like I even knew the neighborhoods or the neighbors. We moved frequently -- I think about 7 or so different cities between 2nd and 5th grade.

Outside playtime was completely unlimited. Just be home for dinner and at sunset.

My daughter is 11 now. She is *never* unsupervised. My wife won't allow it. This disturbs me. I've suggested that she be allowed to walk (or ride her bike) by herself to the local park a mile away. It has created arguments between us -- and I never win.

Good thing, too. I'd probably get arrested for "neglect".

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
When did all this change to the extent that such a law is required? It had to happen within the last generation.
I think it's been a gradual change that has been building steam for a few decades. At first you had parents that wouldn't let their own kids do anything without being wrapped up in bubblewrap and then they decided that they had to insist that other parents couldn't let their kids do anything unless they were wrapped up, either.

The incident that brought it home to be how absurd things had gotten was when a pair of kids were picked up by police for being at a park two blocks from their home without supervision and now the parents have a file with Child Protective Services who found them guilty of "unsubstantiated child neglect." How can any kind of official action be taken against anyone for anything that has right in the name of the offense the word "unsubstantiated"? Talk about 1984.

Even at this late date....a few days before potential impact, the target appears to be...anyone's guess.

"The closest estimates span across many countries between 43 degrees North and 43 degrees South latitudes in one of two bands parallel to the equator, according to analysis by the federally funded Aerospace Corporation. The Northern Hemisphere prediction includes multiple states in the U.S. from northern California to Pennsylvania"

Definitely avoid hanging with Lottie Williams for a few days.

Even at this late date....a few days before potential impact, the target appears to be...anyone's guess.

"The closest estimates span across many countries between 43 degrees North and 43 degrees South latitudes in one of two bands parallel to the equator, according to analysis by the federally funded Aerospace Corporation. The Northern Hemisphere prediction includes multiple states in the U.S. from northern California to Pennsylvania"

Definitely avoid hanging with Lottie Williams for a few days.
Only a few hours left before re-entry http://www.satview.org/?sat_id=37820U

Who will be the lucky recipient of a fragment? Who will be an unlucky recipient? (like this guy http://1000waystodie.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Meat-Eorite - was that true? Must be true because it was on TV :)).