Thought for the day...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/05/there-are-more-jobs-than-people-out-of-work.html
The jobs market has reached what should be some kind of inflection point: there are now more openings than there are workers.

April marked the second month in a row this historic event has occurred, and the gap is growing.

According to the monthly Job Openings and Labor Turnover Surveyreleased Tuesday, there were just shy of 6.7 million open positions in April, the most recent month for which data are available. That represented an increase of 65,000 from March and is a record.

The number of vacancies is pulling well ahead of the number the Bureau of Labor Statistics counts as unemployed. This year is the first time the level of the unemployed exceeded the jobs available since the BLS started tracking JOLTS numbers in 2000.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
These kinds of reports are of dubious meaning because the devil is in the details. For years and years there have been tons of high paying, highly skilled jobs that employers have been unable to fill because of the shortage of qualified people, while there have been other job areas where there has been many people for a limited number of slots. I'm sure that both of those are true today, just that the balance has shifted around some. If the change is because there is a significant increase in job areas that previously had enough applicants but that now don't, then that's a potential sea change. But if the change is merely that more areas that couldn't fill open positions now have a lot more open and unfilled positions, then very little has changed. The actual situation, of course, is going to be a mix of both and, since this particular metric tells us nothing about what that mix is, there is nothing magical or particularly informative about it, especially based only on whether that ratio happens to be greater or lesser than one.

Still, the fact that the ratio is higher than it has been in many years (provided the ratio is using an apples-to-apples measure for counting open jobs and, particularly, active job seekers) is almost certainly a good sign.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
If the ratio was going the other way I'm pretty sure that would be reported as bad news.
Or, as a typical news item from the WP.

Choice quote:

Taken alone, these metrics mask the fact that some Americans are doing well and some are not.
Why the WP doesn't consider this statement a truism regardless of the economy is beyond me.

Would they be surprised that half of all Americans earn less money than the highest earning 50%?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Would they be surprised that half of all Americans earn less money than the highest earning 50%?
I know your question is rhetorical but yes, they would. These are the people after all that breathlessly declared in 1992 that men and women might be born different.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
These are the people after all that breathlessly declared in 1992 that men and women might be born different.
Actually, I am surprised. I've never heard of a man or women born. Only infant children.

You learn something new here every day, I guess.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A time for hope, and a time for reality. I found this essay quite interesting and thought provoking:

Human beings are the both the luckiest and most cursed creatures on the planet. Not too many people consider the fact that, statistically speaking, the human race should not exist. The chance of us evolving into the beings that we are is slim to almost none at best. We are an anomaly; we are very lucky to be alive.
It sounds like me on a rant!:rolleyes:
It threw me for a minute when I saw Hubbard.
I thought surely not L Ron?!!:eek:
Max.:)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
My granddaughters are such hams it's all my daughter can do to contain it. They know their cute and more than happy to show the world.

I didn't know I had the Genetic Material to be a part of them, since I'm shy and look like the ruff side of a rock.:oops:

kv