Thought for the day...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You gotta hand it to the Swedes, it takes guts to embark on such an important, large-scale change:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180417-a-thrilling-mission-to-get-the-swedish-to-change-overnight
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/730_(transport)
Originally, Okinawa drove on the left-hand side of the road, the same as the rest of Japan. However, after the defeat of Japan during World War II, the prefecture went under control of the United States and on June 24, 1945, was made to drive on the right. Even after Okinawa returned to Japanese control in 1972, it still had its traffic driving on the right for six years due to delays in the handover to Japan and delays to the Expo '75.[2] However, in accordance with the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic that restricts one country to have only one traffic direction, all the traffic in the prefecture was changed back to driving on the left on July 30, 1978.[2] It is one of very few places to have changed from right- to left- traffic in the late twentieth century.[3] The day symbolized Okinawa's return to Japan.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/hero-pilot-who-landed-southwest-flight-was-a-navy-jet-fighter/
The hero commercial pilot who safely landed a Boeing 737 full of passengers after shrapnel from an engine explosion breached the cabin was an ace Navy pilot and one of the first women to take the yoke of an F/A-18 fighter jet, according to reports.

Southwest Airlines pilot Tammie Jo Shults, 56, kept cool Tuesday as she brought Flight 1380 down for an emergency landing in Philadelphia when an engine exploded mid-air, according to passengers’ social media.
Bravo Zulu.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Lots of power in that jet engine when it let loose. They were lucky only one person died.
Just had another maglev turbomolecular pump failure (30,000+RPM hub fracture) about 10 feet from my head a week ago while working on something else. The sound was like a hand grenade at very close distance. It was mainly contained by a very strong steel housing.

Lot's of fan blade shrapnel into the vacuum chamber. Blown out vacuum screen from the top of the pump.

Blade failures in other pumps.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Just had another maglev turbomolecular pump failure (30,000+RPM hub fracture) about 10 feet from my head a week ago while working on something else. The sound was like a hand grenade at very close distance. It was mainly contained by a very strong steel housing.
I recall you, some time ago, telling one (if not two) of these frightening stories of your work.:oops:

Based on the fresh post from @cmartinez (#229) , why not going into recycling for a change? :D

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I recall you, some time ago, telling one (if not two) of these frightening stories of your work.:oops:

Based on the fresh post from @cmartinez (#229) , why not going into recycling for a change? :D
It seems most of the parts we get today are junk so maybe that's a good idea.

Most of the time it's just a good friendly fright from the sound. There is a heavy (1.3 cm-thick) lead bremsstrahlung X-ray shield box between the interior and a person outside the machine so no danger in 99.99% of cases.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
It seems most of the parts we get today are junk so maybe that's a good idea.

Most of the time it's just a good friendly fright from the sound. There is a heavy (1.3 cm-thick) lead bremsstrahlung X-ray shield box between the interior and a person outside the machine so no danger in 99.99% of cases.
In my case, when starting as a Ch. Officer in an LPG carrier, once I felt tired of fearing an eventual incident that, if successful, would end with us in a fraction of a split second. Since that night I started to sleep well.

Last edited:

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
I was living in Ghana in 1974 when they switched from driving on the left to the right. It was amazingly smooth. But then Sierra Leone and Nigeria had done it previously so there were models to follow. For weeks before the switch there was a jingle with music and drums on the radio all day and night. “Drive right. Drive right”. The new signs were all put up with covers over them. On the day (Sunday) there was no driving allowed and all those covers were moved to reveal the new signs and block off the old. Come Monday morning we all started on the right. The only incident I noticed was on a narrow road where we were approaching an oncoming car. Our driver reacted by going left (the old way) and the oncoming driver went right (the new way). Both cars stopped facing each other on the side of the road. No damage, just some verbal fireworks and discussion of ancestry and parenting. After the switch border crossings were much smoother without the circus like crossing over. That had always been a hoot.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
She seems to have handled it about like I would expect any professional pilot to -- even private pilots generally handle emergencies pretty well. There's really no choice -- you HAVE to work the problem. There simply is not a viable alternative. What I found a bit surprising is that, when a big problem popped up, how natural it actually turns out to be to just work the problem and keep everything else as normal as possible.

The real key is remembering that, while working the problem, you still have to fly the damn plane!

They always stress the three 8's of aviation: aviate, navigate, and communicate -- IN THAT ORDER.

Emergency procedures training is done so routinely in simulators by professional pilots that when something happens habit takes over and provides the foundation for your actions. You might have noticed that as she was leaving the frequency to switch to the tower she told the controller to have a good day. Why? Because that's how she leaves a channel (it's a common practice) and that's how she leaves a channel during emergency procedures training; so that's how she left the channel during a real emergency. One emphasis is to keep your emergency procedures as similar to your normal procedures as possible precisely so that you have that automatic framework -- the flip side of that is, to the degree possible, make sure that your normal procedures are compatible with the emergency procedures. It's the same idea behind why Navy pilots generally land on a runway the same way they land on a carrier deck.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
She seems to have handled it about like I would expect any professional pilot to -- even private pilots generally handle emergencies pretty well. There's really no choice -- you HAVE to work the problem. There simply is not a viable alternative. What I found a bit surprising is that, when a big problem popped up, how natural it actually turns out to be to just work the problem and keep everything else as normal as possible.

The real key is remembering that, while working the problem, you still have to fly the damn plane!

They always stress the three 8's of aviation: aviate, navigate, and communicate -- IN THAT ORDER.

Emergency procedures training is done so routinely in simulators by professional pilots that when something happens habit takes over and provides the foundation for your actions. You might have noticed that as she was leaving the frequency to switch to the tower she told the controller to have a good day. Why? Because that's how she leaves a channel (it's a common practice) and that's how she leaves a channel during emergency procedures training; so that's how she left the channel during a real emergency. One emphasis is to keep your emergency procedures as similar to your normal procedures as possible precisely so that you have that automatic framework -- the flip side of that is, to the degree possible, make sure that your normal procedures are compatible with the emergency procedures. It's the same idea behind why Navy pilots generally land on a runway the same way they land on a carrier deck.
I don't mean to sound like a cynic, and the pilot did a marvelous job at handling the situation, but people and the media tend to forget that in all cases, the pilot is not only saving the passengers lives, but his/her own life as well! ... so they have a big incentive to be a hero ...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Mr Musk is trying to impose the rule of common sense in his company. I sure hope it works out for the best:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43809674

He then added a list of productivity tips including advice to:

• Cancel large meetings or if you have to have them keep them "very short"
  • Walk out of a meeting or end a phone call if it is failing to serve a useful purpose.
  • Avoid acronyms or nonsense words. "We don't want people to have to memorise a glossary just to function at Tesla"
  • Sidestep the "chain of command" to get the job done. Managers insisting on hierarchies will "soon find themselves working elsewhere"
  • Ignore the rules if following a them is obviously ridiculous.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/18/another-day-another-50-million-ico-exit-scam/
Savedroid, a German company that purportedly raised $50 million in ICO and direct funding, has exited with a bang. The site is currently displaying the above image and the founder — one Dr. Yassin Hankir — has posted a tweet thanking investors and saying “Over and out.”
"911 What is your Emergency? "

A guy said he would make me a Millionaire if I gave him money but he scammed me!

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Southwest Airlines pilot Tammie Jo Shults, 56, kept cool Tuesday as she brought Flight 1380 down for an emergency landing in Philadelphia when an engine exploded mid-air, according to passengers’ social media.
That same passenger was wondering why the captain hadn't talked to them more on the intercom. I would say she had her hands full and the chosen words for any communication was not for public consumption.

And for Tammie Jo ...

Web_BZ_.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That same passenger was wondering why the captain hadn't talked to them more on the intercom. I would say she had her hands full and the chosen words for any communication was not for public consumption.

And for Tammie Jo ...

View attachment 150793
Crew Resource Management -- Coddling the passengers is not on the Captain's list until after nearly everything else is taken care of. It's higher on the list of other crew members. If a member of the cockpit crew can talk to the passengers, fine, but until things are under control it is the job of the cabin crew to do that relaying information from the cockpit as practicable.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't mean to sound like a cynic, and the pilot did a marvelous job at handling the situation, but people and the media tend to forget that in all cases, the pilot is not only saving the passengers lives, but his/her own life as well! ... so they have a big incentive to be a hero ...
And they'll be among the first to point that out. People also forget (or are simply not aware) of the continual training that these folks go through and how people that can't handle emergency situations with their heads screwed on straight are weeded out long before they ever step foot in the cockpit of an airliner.

Back when I was working on my private ticket we were up one night shooting landings and the winds were crazy, including moderate low level wind shear on short final. I was well beyond my level of competency at the time and fighting like crazy to keep the shiny side up. As we were finally leaving the area my instructor told me that while I might die in an airplane some day, he was certain that when they pulled my body from the wreckage they were going to have to pry my hands off the yoke because I was going to fight death all the way to the point of impact. That kind of took me aback and I responded that it's not like there's any real choice -- if I'm going to live it'll be because I did everything I could. That's when he informed me that there are actually a fair number of student pilots that when they get in over their comfort level they will literally throw their hands up and give up control of the aircraft without a word, sometimes even covering their eyes. He said that if he sees that just once, that he knows it is unlikely that they will ever get to a point where an instructor will clear them to solo.