This Transformer Tho...

bootlegengineer

Joined Dec 5, 2016
This transformer I pulled from an unknown circuit board is making me do some serious trippin! 0_o
So basically this transformer has both the primary and secondary wires on the same side, which has me really confused. I'm just wondering if this is actually a transformer or if its some other component that I don't know about.
Picture 5.jpg Picture 6.jpg Picture 7.jpg Picture 8.jpg

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If you look at the first picture you can see that there is a divider on the bobbin. One winding is one side of that divider and the other winding is the other side of it. The divider provides more reliable insulation between the two windings than when they are wound one on top of the other.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
This transformer I pulled from an unknown circuit board is making me do some serious trippin! 0_o
So basically this transformer has both the primary and secondary wires on the same side, which has me really confused. I'm just wondering if this is actually a transformer or if its some other component that I don't know about.
View attachment 116451 View attachment 116452 View attachment 116453 View attachment 116454
Two wires on one side and three on the other? Best guess is that the two wire side is the primary. If you can, put a low AC voltage on the suspected primary and measure the voltage across the two outside secondary wires. If you get 1/10th the voltage then you would get 12 V out with 120 V in, right?
Finding current. Take your voltage guestimate to some distributor's catalog and compare physical type and size to other transformers.