Things that last…….

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
Soon after starting work in the mid-1970s I purchased a Black & Decker electric drill, then costing around £20. Although not the cheapest on the market - it was at the lower end, having a 10mm chuck, the option of two speeds and not much else.

Now, more than 40 years on, the drill is still giving good service to this DIY/bodger. The only issue in those 40+ years was the failure of the cord at the mains plug strain relief, which was easily rectified by shortening the mains lead by a few inches.

Over the years the drill has been subject to occasional abuse, with the gearbox now making more noise than it should. Just as amazing as the drill’s longevity is the fact that I have managed not to loose the chuck-key, which for the most part is due to the drill being supplied with a carry-case.
With any luck the drill might see me through my years in retirement and last the rest of my life.

I invite others to post similar accounts of products which have given exceptional service; whilst in this example the company made a quality product almost half a century ago, it is no guarantee that their current offerings are of a similar build-quality.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I still have a tape measure that I purchased ~40 years ago. Likewise a circular saw. Also have a router that I have never used in all that time.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I still have a set of Craftsman screwdrivers bought sometime during the Late Jurassic and a hand drill I got shortly after the Roman conquest of Britain. Also a wire wrap tool from around 1975 and a Radio Shack Micronta analog voltmeter from about the same time. All still in good shape.

Some stuff goes titzup as soon as the warranty expires, and some stuff just lasts forever.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I have a Mitutoyo caliper that I bought almost 30 years ago, which I acquired as a milestone commemorating my resignation from the light bulb factory in which I used to work, and also as a way of saying "goodbye weekly salary, hello independence!" ... the thing has been my trustworthy companion through all these years

Image00001.jpg

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I have a Mitutoyo caliper that I bought almost 30 years ago, which I acquired as a milestone commemorating my resignation from the light bulb factory in which I used to work, and also as a way of saying "goodbye weekly salary, hello independence!" ... the thing has been my trustworthy companion through all these years

You need to reset your zero position. If you bought it new you should have the tool to do it, they came with them.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
My second nomination in this thread is again something I purchased soon after starting work; a battery powered quartz travel alarm clock. Back then, quartz watches/clocks were something new to the market. I think I paid of the order of £15 for the alarm clock, which was a considerable sum given that my gross weekly salary was only £25.

During the last 40+ years the alarm clock has continued to function flawlessly, needing no adjustment to keep the correct time – although adjusted twice a year for daylight saving. I calculate that since owning the clock, the second hand has made in excess of 22 million revolutions, and the second hand escapement mechanism has operated more than 1.3 billion times.

And the make of this amazing clock is ‘Remington’ – see attached photo.

Attachments