The war on cops, another chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
We're talking about two different things. You're right that, even despite recent events, cop murders are generally down. The literal war has less casualties than it used to.
I understand that the Federal level is always looking for ways to get more power, no matter who it has to trample to get it. This is probably behind the recent plague of military weapons given to local police departments. If the local fools can escalate local situations to military grade confrontations, the Feds can take over. What I want you to know is that I am not an average fool who buys what's on TV. I don't watch the news on TV and I don't read newspapers. I don't buy the spin delivered on the Internet, either. I would like to say I am rarely fooled. I hope it's true.

Things I do believe are videos, and events documented on a day to day basis, then collated and published. It's difficult to see a person with his hands in the air, shot dead, and then read the Police spin on it...until they find out there is a video they failed to confiscate and suppress. They they give it some mouth service about a long investigation and nobody gets arrested for murder. This has been changing a lot this year. Cameras are so abundant that at least a dozen cops have gone to jail this year (which is about 11 more than last year). The biggest problem (or blessing) right now is The Internet, where anybody with a camera can live-stream a murder before the video can be destroyed.

I want you to know I am not like Glenn Holland. In fact, I expect you to know that without me saying it. I don't make up sensational scenarios. I observe and mentally disregard anything that is mere words. The Internet is full of people with their own agenda and rather versatile imaginations. (I include Police Mouthpieces in that description.) I bring a healthy skepticism before I blurt out the things I have seen.

My own personal experience tells me that Police Officers come equipped with a mindset that is hard to understand. For instance, I have had eight traffic tickets in my life (none in the last 40 years), and I was guilty in two of the cases. I was convicted in all of them, but I was guilty in two of them. This proportion extends to other interactions. I call for help, and the police try to arrest me for asking them to do their job. Apparently, that annoys them, so I quit asking for help about 20 years ago. The way I sum it up is thus: Police Officers have committed more felonies against me than everybody else in the world put together. It just seems to come natural to them to disregard The Constitution which they took an Oath to uphold.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Three ways you can solve this type of issue (in order):
  1. Less trigger happy / Less twitchy police
  2. Finger racism in the police force / public in general
  3. Reduce gun availability

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
—Thomas Sowell, the Rose and Milton Friedman Senior Fellow on Public Policy at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University
Thomas Sowell's column is often ran in the local paper. I would never use him as a source of "logical" reference, he is a mostly racist person.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
One of the things they teach you in a concealed carry course is what to do when you are stopped by the police; you are to stick your hands out the window, declare that you have a concealed weapon and do exactly what the officer says. So, it sounded suspicious when he supposedly reached for his CCW license when the cop told him to not move.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Reduce gun availability
What? Laws and laws and laws about, "assault rifles" and now you want to ban WW II relics?
Not gonna happen in 'Murica.
People here are having serious doubts about being disarmed by our government.
Try this idea: If 5% of the honest citizens in the Orlando event (or the Paris night club) were packing heat, no maniac would ever load a second magazine of bullets.

Again with data from the FBI, "as the homicide rate in the U.S. is actually at a 51-year low, according to FBI data."
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/ma...ate-hits-51-year-gun-ownership-increased-141/

and then there's this example, "Media Silent as Concealed Carrier Stops Mass Shooting in Progress at a South Carolina Nightclub."
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/concealed-carrier-stops-mass-shooting/

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Don't expect to get many facts from that. It's been confirmed he did have CCW from the next county when he lived there.
http://www.startribune.com/philando-castile-had-permit-to-carry-gun/386054481/
The article is a lot of speculation. Fitting a description of someone does not justify death. Period. It might explain why the cop panicked.

The guy had a really bad driving record but was not a criminal.
http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/phila...ook-live-video-watch-lavish-reynolds-diamond/
Philando Castile, the 32-year-old man shot by a police officer in Falcon Heights, Minnesota after a minor traffic stop, had no felony convictions, but being stopped by the police for small traffic hassles was a regular occurrence for him.

Minnesota police stopped him for driving without a muffler. For not having an insurance card. For driving after revocation of his driver’s license, and so on. They accused him of minor traffic issues more than 50 times, one for almost every year of his life.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"Minnesota police stopped him for driving without a muffler. For not having an insurance card. For driving after revocation of his driver’s license, and so on. They accused him of minor traffic issues more than 50 times, one for almost every year of his life."

That sounds to me like a bad case of Driving While Black. If you average out about 50 of those interactions, you're testing the odds on finding a bad cop.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
"One can cherry-pick the factual studies, or cite some studies that have subsequently been discredited, but the great bulk of the studies show that gun control laws do not in fact control guns. On net balance, they do not save lives but cost lives."

Thomas Sowell

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I've seen us recover from a lot worse in this country. The problems we have now are a cakewalk when compared to 65-68. This is a picnic compared to the '60's.
I was alive then. I was aware. I was watching...and learning.
Mayor Daley told the police (Daley's Boys) that this wasn't a political protest. It was hippies coming to perform nude fornication in public. Meanwhile, J. Edgar Hoover was investigating The Beatles, as if rock&roll was a communist plot.

Daniel Walker, a Chicago attorney contracted to write a report on the disturbances, described the confrontation in Lincoln Park as a "police riot."
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...daley-demonstrators-youth-international-party

That was when we thought we could make a difference.

Nixon’s Chief Advisor Confesses– Real Reason for Drug War was to Criminalize Blacks and Hippies
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/ni...l-reason-drug-war-criminalize-blacks-hippies/

“You want to know what this was really all about?” Ehrlichman bluntly asked Baum of the war on drugs. “The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Nixon’s Chief Advisor Confesses– Real Reason for Drug War was to Criminalize Blacks and Hippies
Please stop spreading this alleged 'quote' nonsense. We are to believe Mr. Baum forgot or hid for 22 years the fact he knew about a secret Nixon race war but waited until the proper time to tell all in a magazine article?
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/politics/john-ehrlichman-richard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/
"The 1994 alleged 'quote' we saw repeated in social media for the first time today does not square with what we know of our father. And collectively, that spans over 185 years of time with him," the Ehrlichman family wrote. "We do not subscribe to the alleged racist point of view that this writer now implies 22 years following the so-called interview of John and 16 years following our father's death, when dad can no longer respond. None of us have raised our kids that way, and that's because we were not raised that way."
Ehrlichman's comments did not surface until now after Baum remembered them while going back through old notes for the Harper's story. Baum said he had no reason to believe Ehrlichman was being dishonest and viewed them as "atonement" from a man long after his tumultuous run in the White House ended.
http://prisontime.org/2013/08/12/timeline-black-support-for-the-war-on-drugs/
1971. March 25. The Congressional Black Caucus secures a closed-door sit-down meeting with President Nixon in the Cabinet Room. During the session, the group demands more action to stop the flow of narcotics into urban neighborhoods. Members acknowledge that they are risking their credibility meeting with Nixon. The session is secretly recorded by the President.

Rep. Charles Rangel, a newly-elected Democrat from New York City and a former Federal prosecutor, urges Nixon to do more to fight drugs without waiting for further congressional action, warning that support might soon build for drug legalization.

“You do have the power and we implore you to use it as you would if this were a national crisis and I think we’ve reached that,” Rangel insists.

Before departing, the Black Caucus presented Nixon with a manifesto of sixty priorities for the African American community. It included the demand that “drug abuse and addiction be declared a major national crisis” and a call to use “all existing resources” to stop the trafficking of drugs.
1972 March 22. Nixon’s “Shafer” commission, made up largely of conservative white elected officials, recommends legalization of marijuana. “Neither the marihuana user nor the drug itself can be said to constitute a danger to public safety,” writes co-author Gov. Raymond Shafer, a Republican from Pennsylvania. Measure receives no support from black lawmakers in Congress.
1977. August 2nd. President Jimmy Carter proposes easing Federal marijuana laws. Measure fails to find support in Democratically controlled Congress.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Please stop spreading this alleged 'quote' nonsense.
Fooled me again?:eek:
I think I should also re-examine the stories about the CIA providing the heroin to the black communities.
On a side note, I can testify that I never saw a Hippie get marijuana from people in trench coats and dark glasses.:D

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That's a pretty outrageous claim. I had never heard of him until now, so I had to go read the wiki about him. The word "racist" does not appear there. I see a lot more adjectives like "brilliant", "prolific intellect" and "award winning".
Read all of his columns, not just a Wiki probably written by his supporters. He, even though black himself, is really down on other blacks. He also rails against "intellectual elites" pretty regularly, even though he is one himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.