the voltage of resistor parallel with wire >>>/!\ Help please/!\

!!Miss.EE!!

Joined Oct 17, 2007
Hi all , I'm new member here and I'm really happy I found this amazing site. :D
I don't know how to start since it is my first time writing here, However. I hop I'll do something to this forum in return. ^___^
I have a problem in standing why the voltage must be zero for R=2K in the figure below (I mean Vo)... (Note: I simulate the circuit using Orcad that why I knew it is 0 V ) but why I really don't know . Can you please help me ??!!)
Further I know when resistor is parallel with wire(short circuit ) the current through that resistor is equal zero , is it by somehow that is the reason the voltage through that resistor is equal to zero too!!) ....:confused:

:confused:

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
the image is too large :D
havent solved yet but it seems it should not be zero.
however a short circuit in parallel isnt the only reason for voltage difference acrosss a element to be zero.
sometimes the voltage across to element is same(like in wheatstone circuit) and hence the voltage difference is zero.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
where did the original circuit go?(i didnt mean to complain b4)
by the way i dont think answer shud be zero for that circuit.
by wheatstone circuit example i meant there are some times conditions that voltage drop across elements is such that there are points in circuit whose potentials are same and hence no potential difference exist between them.

chulangj

Joined Oct 11, 2007
you have shorted out the resistors to the output and form a new path for the current to pass. The voltage across this wire is very very very small and would read zero. A pic of the new circuit is shown here

Attachments

!!Miss.EE!!

Joined Oct 17, 2007
you have shorted out the resistors to the output and form a new path for the current to pass. The voltage across this wire is very very very small and would read zero. A pic of the new circuit is shown here

Isn't like what I said in my first post????:confused:

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i thought u meant o v in the actual problem
anyways for the above case like u said the resistances are in parallel to a short hence the current thru 2 +2 ohms loop is zero so no votage drop across the 2 ohm resistor.

!!Miss.EE!!

Joined Oct 17, 2007
Vo is across one resistor with 2K which is also parallel with the another 2K, so V across them is equal , hence it is zero 'cause they are parallel with wire(short) ... right !!!:(

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
that will be a bit confusing way to look at the circuit .
actually that way if u consider the circuit then the two resistors of 2K have a terminal floating.
so the answer in any case is that all current flows thru the parallel short circuit and hence no current flows thru the 2k resistances and so no P.D.
or u can also say that since voltage diff across a short is zero hence voltage drop across the 2k resistors in series(in this case) is zero.
there are a lot of ways to look at this more than i can even post right now.

!!Miss.EE!!

Joined Oct 17, 2007
this is the original question::

and I approached this case and now I'm confused again:

first is the node I circled is the same???
then some one can help me find Vo in detail please; 'cause each time something come up on my mind :mad:

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
they are all same
if u really want to solve it the old fashioned way use kvl
just take those three squares as separate loops.

!!Miss.EE!!

Joined Oct 17, 2007
some thing new .... ( sorry but I don't give up till all my idea is finished)
I redraw the circuit (don't LAUGH )

now it is clear both of 2K resistors are with open node >>>> Thats why they have Zero volt. ( it is a question) -____-!!

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
now it is clear both of 2K resistors are with open node >>>> Thats why they have Zero volt. ( it is a question) -____-!!
that is what i meant.

that will be a bit confusing way to look at the circuit .
actually that way if u consider the circuit then the two resistors of 2K have a terminal floating.
now.
the more thought u give the better u will arrive at same conclusion but with new methods and will have much more clearer idea.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Miss EE,

Complete all the steps of the superposition. Just because the first step you've done has 0 as Vo doesn't preclude you from having an output when you add the remaining steps.