The solar powered R/C drone, what do you think about it?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Possible? Yes. I mean, there is such a thing as a quadcopter. It would take some calculations to work out that this particular design is impossible. Maybe it's a typo and he meant 30 seconds. ;)

Likely? No. A solar panel doesn't capture enough power to lift it's own weight. (A highly efficient glider design is barely kept aloft with solar power.) I doubt the solar panel makes much positive difference to the flight time of that drone, which would not be long to start with such a small battery.

Hoax, I'd guess.

huytergan

Joined Dec 26, 2016
Possible? Yes. I mean, there is such a thing as a quadcopter. It would take some calculations to work out that this particular design is impossible. Maybe it's a typo and he meant 30 seconds. ;)

Likely? No. A solar panel doesn't capture enough power to lift it's own weight. (A highly efficient glider design is barely kept aloft with solar power.) I doubt the solar panel makes much positive difference to the flight time of that drone, which would not be long to start with such a small battery.

Hoax, I'd guess.
Thanks for the feedback Wayneh! Can you give me your e-mail or sth to communicate with you. I wanna do sth like it but realistic.

huytergan

Joined Dec 26, 2016
Of course said performance may readily be attained via implementation of an H2 or He ballast - But at the cost of significantly increased drag...;)

Best regards
HP:)
Thanks for the feedback "Hypatia's Protege"! why there's no a feature which allows to send a private message or I haven't found it.:p

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Thanks for the feedback "Hypatia's Protege"! why there's no a feature which allows to send a private message or I haven't found it.:p
Thanks, @huytergan -- Please be advised that, like @wayneh, I too prefer to keep on-topic discussions public and I greatly prefer to keep discussions on-topic:) -- Please post your questions openly... IMO 'drones' (and their ilk) are of sufficient interest to many electronics enthusiasts that one might reasonably expect well conceived questions to garner numerous helpful replies:cool: - that said, the 'Projects Forum' or, pursuant to the 'crux' of your question, 'Power Electronics' may be the best 'venue' for same...

As regards Private Conversations - It's possible said feature is unavailable pending increased tenure/participation...

Very best regards
HP:)