The pets of AAC...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Didn't know they upgraded the site with more posting options till today. Of course not been around much. :(

kv

I can't; I have to keep a gentle calm with mine; sort of like the hulk. She's probably always angry. It's best when raising a Pit not to begin any training that can't be undone. There all natural; to smart and to stubborn.

I do recall as as child; a friends dog. His name was Hell; Solid white German Shepard. Bit me in the stomach; was trained and rescued after service in the military. He was only protecting the family when I innocently ran up to their house to play. Training gone wrong; and then allowed to be acclimated to society.

Four puncher wounds later; once the owner called the dog off attack mode.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Didn't know they upgraded the site with more posting options till today. Of course not been around much. :(

kv

I can't; I have to keep a gentle calm with mine; sort of like the hulk. She's probably always angry. It's best when raising a Pit not to begin any training that can't be undone. There all natural; to smart and to stubborn.

I do recall as as child; a friends dog. His name was Hell; Solid white German Shepard. Bit me in the stomach; was trained and rescued after service in the military. He was only protecting the family when I innocently ran up to their house to play. Training gone wrong; and then allowed to be acclimated to society.

kv
What happened to the dog afterwards? Was he put to sleep? Did your parents sue your neighbors? Did you make peace with the dog and became best buddies?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
My father; went to his home. Which is not good ever; a golden glove boxer. The guy was a miserable person; never had a good encounter with him ever; and after my fathers visit the owner shot the dog the next day.

The dog was on a chain inside an abandoned commercial chicken coup; as children we were not to go inside. Not sure why it was out running free that day?

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
My father; went to his home. Which is not good ever; a golden glove boxer. The guy was a miserable person; never had a good encounter with him ever; and after my fathers visit the owner shot the dog the next day.

The dog was on a chain inside an abandoned commercial chicken coup; as children we were not to go inside. Not sure why it was out running free that day?

kv
Sad story... didn't end well with the dog, didn't end well with the owner...
Glad to hear your dad looked after his kids though.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011

kv

kv
White shepherds are considered defective. For this reason, they are put down in Germany. Enterprising Americans sell them by calling them "rare", but they are rare for a reason. They are crap.

Without context, the photo appears that I am making him mean. This is not the case. He is learning confidence. One need not fight if he already knows he will win.

My dog is as safe as any I have known. He is a favorite of the neighborhood kids and their parents.

And if necessary, he'd give his life protecting any of them.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I think Socializing and integrating them into the family as they are pack animals. To put a dog on a chain hours and hours at a time; is isolation and it conditions the dog to be angry or even bitter.

I've seen this happen to many dogs; no matter the breed.

The next dog he had when the family moved four doors down from us; a full bread German Shepard well sized. Left on a chain that could reach the front yard from both sides.

Guess what his name was?

Fang. Bit the church ladies daughter when she came to visit one day. She couldn't run fast enough and he removed a piece of her butt.

Like I said training gone wrong or the lack thereof.

kv

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I think Socializing and integrating them into the family as they are pack animals. To put a dog on a chain hours and hours at a time; is isolation and it conditions the dog to be angry or even bitter.
kv
When I was young, and lived with my parents, we had a German Wirehaired Pointer, it was a family member. Nearly every night for 16 yrs, she slept in the footend of my bed, warming my feet. It was a great dog.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
White shepherds are considered defective. For this reason, they are put down in Germany. Enterprising Americans sell them by calling them "rare", but they are rare for a reason. They are crap.
I have never heard that, and a quick Google search turns up nothing. What is your source?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I have never heard that, and a quick Google search turns up nothing. What is your source?
Maybe the same source as one I got from some person years ago; which I can't remember who or when but; they told me after WWII the Breed "Rottweiler" was never released to the Allies. Germany let Pincer's or German Shepard's go without resistance but; kept the "Rottweiler" to themselves. This is the history of the "Rottweiler" http://www.therottweilerclub.co.uk/the-breed/history-of-the-breed/

I can't confirm or deny the truth of this persons story. Maybe the source is in German? Your not googling it correctly....:)

kv

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Source of what? That white is deficient? That the white puppies are put down in Germany? That white dogs are crap?

Well, first, from the SV GSD Breed Standard:

Disqualifying Faults (also ineligible for breed survey):

* a) Weak character, biting, nervous;
* b) Demonstrated severe hip dysplasia
* c) Cryptorchidism (unilateral or bilateral), clearly unequal or stunted, atrophied testicles;
* d) Deformed ears or tails;
* e) Dogs with deformities;
* f) Dentition faults involving the absence of:

one P-3 and another tooth, or

one fang (canine), or

one P-4, or

one Molar-1 or Molar-2, or

any total of three or more teeth;

* g) Incisor (bite) irregularities: overshot by 2mm or more, undershot, or pincer bite (even or level in entire incisor area); (as of 2002, any non-scissors bite is a disqualification, apparently regardless of amount. See notes below.)
* h) Oversize or undersize by more than one centimeter;
* i) Albinism;
* j) White haircoat even if the dog has dark eyes and nails;
* k) Langstockhaar (topcoat long, straight, soft, not lying tightly; with undercoat present; flags (feathering) on ears and legs, bushy trousers, bushy tail with formation of flags on the underside);
* l) Langhaar (topcoat long, soft; without undercoat, generally parting in the middle of the back; flags at ears, legs, and tail).
Therefore, white haircoat is a disqualifying fault for a GSD, according to the SV, the governing body for the GSD breed.

For the second part, no one is going to publish the fact that German breeders take defective puppies out behind the woodshed and shoot them. But you must realize that German Shepherd Dogs are Serious Business in Germany, and a defective dog (one that does not meet the SV Standard) is useless ... and makes bad business sense to keep alive, feed, and provide immunizations and vet checkups.

Finally, those who market white GSDs are breeding for one thing: color. This is the absolute worst criteria for which to breed a dog -- and doubly worse for GSDs because white is the most recessive of its color-determining genes. One who breeds and sells white "German Shepherd Dogs" (which is an oxymoron, actually) does no favors for the breed as far as its structure, temperament, or working ability is concerned.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I don't know much about dog breeding and standards, but I suspect it's much like any other livestock breeding. The "standards" are written around someone's idea of a "perfect" specimen, which usually coincides with what they have to sell. There are huge numbers of white shepherds in the US and Canada, as well as a fair number of breeders. The White Shepherd breed was recognized by the UKC about 15 years ago. I suppose your definition of "crap" is different from theirs.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I don't know much about dog breeding and standards but I suspect it's much like any other livestock breeding.
The "standards" are written around someone's idea of a "perfect" specimen, which usually coincides with what they have to sell.
Or, an entirely new breed is developed by one person, Max von Stephanitz, to fulfill a specific purpose, and given a specific name (i.e. Deutscher Schäferhund or German Shepherd Dog). Von Stephanitz also defined the official breed standard for the GSD, created an organization to govern that standard, and devised a test that all GSDs must pass in order to prove the working ability that is required of all dogs carrying the name German Shepherd Dog.

There are huge numbers of white shepherds in the US and Canada, as well as a fair number of breeders. The White Shepherd breed was recognized by the UKC about 15 years ago.
In today's mushy world where anything can be called anything, and "judgmentalism" is wrong, I suppose you could also call a Nova a Corvette. Hey, they're both Chevrolet!

In my world, words mean things. And German Shepherd Dog means a dog that possesses the genetic qualities envisioned by Max von Stephanitz as expressed by Horand von Grafrath, the first GSD from which all GSDs of today have decended.

In the USA and Canada, any "gsd" can be bred with any other "gsd" and called a "gsd". This does not make such a dog a GSD. Only by earning a Schutzhund Title can a dog truly be called, and bred as, a GSD.

There is a reason why police and military K-9 groups get their GSDs from Germany and not from the US and Canada!

I suppose your definition of "crp" is different from theirs.
Again, words mean things. "Crp" == Crp.

BTW, you may consider me an authority on this topic. I have trained hundreds of different GSDs (including crp American dogs -- and yes, they are crp) over the last 15 years.

<moderator's note -a lightly edited for palatability>

Last edited by a moderator:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Interesting to think if Hitler was still around the white Shepard would be prize to him in order to support the white Arian Agenda.

kv

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I prefer the term "to protect and defend."
Ernie, after 15 years I quit trying to explain it.

Instead, I just agree, "Yes, my dog bites...yes, my dog is trained to attack...yes, you better watch out or he might bite you!"

Then a bunch of kids come around and start playing with my dog as the inquisitor begins to freak out.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I like my dogs with a brain pan big enough to understand context. A friend of mine has a puppy mill GS, which he has neutered. He has spent a fortune on hip repairs and other genetic defects. Bear goes with him wherever he goes, when he can.

I love watching Bear around small children. He knows he is scary, so he sits very still while they maul him, showing obvious pleasure. If my friend ever stopped making the first Saturday flea market in Dallas everyone would ask what happened to Bear, he truly is everyones friend.

Bear is getting old though, and is developing cataracts. Bigger dogs don't live as long unfortunately. Bear is 12 years old.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I prefer the term "to protect and defend."
I didn't see the video, so I'm not sure how he training for his dog, but the videos what I watched are all attack the hand of whom play the bad guy, to protect and defend let me think about the dog barking and scare the people who it want to scare.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bertus Off-Topic 39