The pets of AAC...

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Interesting read. I have seen a few Golden Poodles a mix between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle.

I was talking to an old friend today, also a dog lover, and she turned me onto Tucker. A Google of "Tucker the dog" will bring up some funny videos of Tucker. This is one and this is another.

Lost my Biscuit a few weeks ago. We had him for about 11 years, he was a pound puppy mix of maybe Yellow Lab and who knows what. I miss him and see another trip to the county kennel in my future. Charlotte needs another dog around here. You never replace a dog as there is no replacement but there will be another dog. Besides, like I told my wife, Charlotte wants another dog, she barked it out for me. :)

I have to agree with the story writer. I think sometimes mixing breeds, especially to create something new and click is not a very good idea. Sometimes maybe you can get the best of a few breeds but sometimes you run the risk of getting the worst of the breeds. I also see this extending well beyond dogs.

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Don't remember the details but there was already a Curly-coat black Lab that had some poodle in it but the PoodleX got really out of hand. My mother had a little yapper that was a PooDach that I detested. Nicknamed it ragamuffin and she spent a small fortune grooming that little runt. I can't even remember all the Black Labs that I've had over the years and far too many were someone else's castoffs. Only 3 standouts in the whole bunch. Never have cared for yappers.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
... and that's one of several reasons why I'm a cat person...
I'm am or was allergic to cats, it's been 18 years since we had the cats, lost one 2 years ago, down to one both were cast aways. Cats are cost effective, easy maintenance, I have 2 auto cat box cleaners. I left them alone about 6 days without need of care, just someone to look in on them every two days, my Pitbull and Boxer was a constant observation opening and closing the pet door, the Pit was a rescue, fortunately she wasn't at all like what you see in the news.

But, all my life I had Labs, maybe around 4, all hunting dogs, a lab can be very crazy, mostly pure breeds, male dominant. the one thing I learned they are all wolfs, and pack animals. To purchase one then put them on a chain only make them mean or worse unpredictably scared, the dog who isn't "Game" meaning confident will most likely bite.

Thats why I chose to raised "Hades" inside the house, as a pup she began as a part of the family and acted accordingly, she knew she had a place within the group, I never had any trouble with her and she was no different to me than a Lab, the difference was and still is Labs are working dogs, while Pits are Guard dogs protecting the pack. Neither one can be trusted around other dogs, unless you socialize them, but even then cannot be trusted. Male dominate labs are just as "Game" as any other Guard dogs.

kv

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
I'm am or was allergic to cats, it's been 18 years since we had the cats, lost one 2 years ago, down to one both were cast aways. Cats are cost effective, easy maintenance, I have 2 auto cat box cleaners. I left them alone about 6 days without need of care, just someone to look in on them every two days, my Pitbull and Boxer was a constant observation opening and closing the pet door, the Pit was a rescue, fortunately she wasn't at all like what you see in the news.

But, all my life I had Labs, maybe around 4, all hunting dogs, a lab can be very crazy, mostly pure breeds, male dominant. the one thing I learned they are all wolfs, and pack animals. To purchase one then put them on a chain only make them mean or worse unpredictably scared, the dog who isn't "Game" meaning confident will most likely bite.

Thats why I chose to raised "Hades" inside the house, as a pup she began as a part of the family and acted accordingly, she knew she had a place within the group, I never had any trouble with her and she was no different to me than a Lab, the difference was and still is Labs are working dogs, while Pits are Guard dogs protecting the pack. Neither one can be trusted around other dogs, unless you socialize them, but even then cannot be trusted. Male dominate labs are just as "Game" as any other Guard dogs.

kv
The stereotypical pitbulls that I have encountered all have the stereotypical owners to go with them. I feel terrible for these dogs. A dog is a reflection of the owner. A great thing about dogs is that they will change given a chance. Their ability to forgive and forget is amazing.

Pitbulls are some of the most loyal dogs I have encountered and will not leave your side. Mine is half lab though and is a terrible trash lover...
He is going on 11 years now. I get lots of compliments when walking with these two. But they are not city dogs.
20190926_181800_HDR.jpg

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yes our last lab was both a trash diver and a counter cruiser. No food was safe around her. Never leave a plate unattended to go to the bathroom while watching TV. Cooling cake or pie tins had better be at the far back of the counter unless watched. The furniture was off-limits but somehow there was almost always a warm spot on the couch in the mornings. Even though she had a foam mattress bed of her own. Which she decided to shred one night. And chewed up 2 remotes over the years along with other things like the coffee table legs and the outside trim moulding around the front door. I called her my 4 legged doorbell as she would alert us anytime someone drove into our very large yard. All bark and no bite but had one young UPS driver scared to death of her. Miss that sweet and crazy old girl and after we finish all the remodeling going on around the house I'll have to replace her.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The stereotypical pitbulls that I have encountered all have the stereotypical owners to go with them. I feel terrible for these dogs. A dog is a reflection of the owner. A great thing about dogs is that they will change given a chance. Their ability to forgive and forget is amazing.

Pitbulls are some of the most loyal dogs I have encountered and will not leave your side. Mine is half lab though and is a terrible trash lover...
He is going on 11 years now. I get lots of compliments when walking with these two. But they are not city dogs.
All of the Pit Bull breeds I have met have been among the nicest friendliness dogs I have come across. They also had kind loving owners. Sadly here in the greater Cleveland, Ohio burbs if I look at the Cleveland APL Kennel the huge majority of the dogs up for adoption are Pit Bull breed, normally mixed Pit Bull Terrier. My view is a dog is what we make them. The kennel I mentioned is inner city so we have people who can't manage to care for themselves or their kids ending up with dogs they can't properly train or care for. Then the dogs are found on the streets, unlicensed, and the owners don't want to pay the $75 to $100 fee for their return and the dogs are spayed or neutered accordingly. The real losers here are the dogs. They also tend to get a bum rap from those with no understanding of dogs.

Ron

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
All of the Pit Bull breeds I have met have been among the nicest friendliness dogs I have come across. They also had kind loving owners. Sadly here in the greater Cleveland, Ohio burbs if I look at the Cleveland APL Kennel the huge majority of the dogs up for adoption are Pit Bull breed, normally mixed Pit Bull Terrier. My view is a dog is what we make them. The kennel I mentioned is inner city so we have people who can't manage to care for themselves or their kids ending up with dogs they can't properly train or care for. Then the dogs are found on the streets, unlicensed, and the owners don't want to pay the $75 to $100 fee for their return and the dogs are spayed or neutered accordingly. The real losers here are the dogs. They also tend to get a bum rap from those with no understanding of dogs.

Ron
Sometimes I think the real loosers are the people that give up the dogs as they miss out on the unbelievable love they give you. It is hard work, and unfortunately I see many people getting larger breeds thinking that they will be no maintenance at all. But you have to sacrifice a lot. They are like children that never grow up and then leavd you heart broken.

I never thought I would get a dog like this simply because I was never a fan of short haired breeds. But then I saw Pat at SPCA. It is true, they adopt you...

20180930_124101.jpg

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
According to my old cat (who has delusions of grandeur that he really is a lion and king of his realm), every day is the national cat day to him...

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Several weeks ago we lost our Biscuit who was one of the sweetest dogs we have ever had. He was one of the most difficult for me to part with. We have always had two and peaked at three in this house. I convinced my wife that Charlotte our Golden needed a brother. We began looking at the dogs in local shelters and our veterinary clinic suggested a rescue place which takes their dogs to them when needed. So I went to their website snooping around and saw a few candidates and contacted them. The woman told me they were bringing in 10 dogs out of Kentucky on Saturday and if I wanted I could meet her at the clinic. OK, cool with me.

My wife's parting words as I left the house were "whatever you do, do not bring home another large dog or a puppy". I really haven't listened for over thirty years so why start now?

They had this little guy looking for a home at 8 weeks.
Pilgrim.png

You never replace a good pet, you simply get another and let them into your life. Charlotte has been very good and tolerant of the new addition but likely feels I should have discussed me handing her a new baby brother. I had just forgotten what is involved in house training which sucks.

This is Charlotte who is going to be 3 years old come January.
Charlotte.png

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
That is a cool picture. I love how the contour of the cat fits the contour of the platform. That and the content look on the cat. :)

Ron

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Incredible picture, absolutely great right down to the whisker and hair detail.

Ron
Thanks, it was taken by my wife, who is an avid photography geek. She used a brand new Samsung S10+ that I bought last week to replace my old S7 .... I don't know what happened afterwards, because my memories of that day are rather fuzzy o_O.... but I ended up with her S8 and she with the new S10+ ...:confused:

I'll pass on your compliments to her. She loves encouraging feedback. :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bertus Off-Topic 39