The Mini Nuclear Reactor Battle is ON!

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yeah, I was wondering just what kind of output each of the two reactors on our newest USS Gerald R Ford Aircraft Carrier has? Each of its A-1B reactors is rated 700 MW so it is a bit more than what they are calling "Mini".

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have seen the "mini reactors touted as a wonderful concept, but my question is about the wisdom of producing quantities of nuclear devices that will be in the hands of the general public. Given the number of technically incompetent fools who have access to tools, that is a certain invitation to nuclear disasters of various kinds. The reality is that "You Can't Fix Stupid", and some of that group are rather determined individuals. So I see nasty results happening.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
At around 400MW, Joe Blow won't be getting his hands on one. In fact, those are ~35% of the output of the units at Plant Vogtle here in Georgia. Not really so "mini" at all.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I recall seeing pictures of some much smaller packages, rated 40 or 50 Kw. Suitable for a larger "All Electric" house, one with electric heating. Is that scary or not???

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I seem to remember china or russia using one on their space station. Yeah, I can just imagine some bubbba opening the lid on one just to see what's inside.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
I can’t see home- sized nuclear electrical plants, unless there is some form of RTG.
But the problem would be long term accountability, as demonstrated by accidents in former Soviet republics after the dissolution of the USSR.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Unmanned space probes don't need as much shielding. Also, they may have been simple thermal electric generators with no moving parts. I think various nations have used similar generators for powering remote weather stations.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Unmanned space probes are also protected against uninvited individuals tinkering with them, at least most of the time. That is a big advantage. Also, no neighbors complaining about the radiation.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I recently read a story about some small nuclear power supplies that Russia had scattered around to power remote facilities. Several men came across one and used it to keep themselves warm because it was giving off heat. The guy that was the closest to it died from radiation poisoning.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
I recently read a story about some small nuclear power supplies that Russia had scattered around to power remote facilities. Several men came across one and used it to keep themselves warm because it was giving off heat. The guy that was the closest to it died from radiation poisoning.
That is the video I linked in my post.