The LED's Wings Project and sensing circuit.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
How are you planning on connecting the remote circuit to the Wings?
Are you planning on using the antenna as well?
I am thinking to add it in paralel with the SCM and add a protection diode on the SCM to Not let the voltage from this secondary module get to it. The same on the Rvr(Receiver) module, a diode should block any voltage from SCM to its Data pin. I am worry though, since I didnt make any tests yet.
Screenshot_6.jpg
Momentarily I still have problems with the transmitter circuit. One result I have on the breadboard, and another when I keep it in hand. Though I admit I was testing with my fingers, touching everything, the bateries, the pins of the Tr (transmiter) and I could not have any output on the receiver (no led ON). Now Im building a case for the Tr and the hard part are the batteries to enclose. But is getting there, little by little. I will post images when is finished and when I will be able to keep it properly in my hand. Probably a short movie. We'll see.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Hi- no, no... you don't need all those layers. Your entire project can be done on 2-4 layers. Seriously. I have lots of experience with PCB design. I have PCBs far more complicated in less space than what you have, using just 2 layers.
Now that you mention fewer layers, I kind of thinking maybe there is a way of waving everything through nickeled/coppered holes through the board, from 1 side to the other, or from 1 layer to another. I have 0 experience with Modern circuit boards. I only have experience with the old technology boards, meaning when I had to mark the tracks, then wash it in a bath of acid that was etching/eating the copper, and leaving the marked/protected tracks. But that I did it very rarely and more an academic study for me, since I cant really permit such wealth. They are stupid expensive, those boards. So...I go to another more cheaper solution with my cardboards. And so far they prove the concept. In reality I am testing on cardboard for many years, now is the good results that you are seeing and not the bad stuff I was experiencing in the past, long before internet even existed. Haha.
I think through holes is what you are thinking, right? Or give me an example as an image or movie even.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
[Remote Control Transmitter and Batteries Built in one day]
Here is 1 day of very hard work and very good results.
I apologize for a very long movie 21min.
But you will see in it how it behaves on the breadboard and how is in my hand. Also some photos of how was built, and also my "3d printing" method I used. I hope I keep you interested in it to actually watch it.
Thank you for your help so far.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Now that you mention fewer layers, I kind of thinking maybe there is a way of waving everything through nickeled/coppered holes through the board, from 1 side to the other, or from 1 layer to another. I have 0 experience with Modern circuit boards. I only have experience with the old technology boards, meaning when I had to mark the tracks, then wash it in a bath of acid that was etching/eating the copper, and leaving the marked/protected tracks. But that I did it very rarely and more an academic study for me, since I cant really permit such wealth. They are stupid expensive, those boards. So...I go to another more cheaper solution with my cardboards. And so far they prove the concept. In reality I am testing on cardboard for many years, now is the good results that you are seeing and not the bad stuff I was experiencing in the past, long before internet even existed. Haha.
I think through holes is what you are thinking, right? Or give me an example as an image or movie even.
Yes, there are many very creative ways of routing traces on PCBs to get where you need. vias (holes), and even using the gaps that components create (like underneath a resistor, for example) to run traces through, and other methods. I have no doubt that your project could be done on 2-4 layers.

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
mister @sghioto
I just measured that S wire/pin5 from lm3914 and it shows 8V to ground. I didnt measure it in circuit over those 2x10k resistors in SCM. I unlink it from SCM and measure it in air.
The DATA pin from Rx (receiver module) is around 5V - i didnt measure it because is fluctuating very much.
My idea was to link Data pin to Source of the 2n7002, as the pin5 is linked right now.
Basically, when the led was liting on from data pin, was activating all the leds, but in sequence and not all at once.
That was the idea.
Please help me.
I tried many permutations so far, I did all the tests I could, and no good results.
Either I get a trembling result, or all leds are ON. I put the S wire to the Data pin of Rx, and is trembling. I put a diode from data pin to S, and is trembling a tiny bit slower. I put a transistor NPN and led and still trembling, or staying lit everything. I unlink S wire from SCM and connect it directly to the breadboard.
Then I realized that the trembling is from pin5 of the lm3914.
Now, you will tell me is broken. But if I put back the S to SCM, everything is working fine, as before, nothing is changed. In conclusion, this combination between data pin from Rx and S wire(pin5) is creating a vibration. I highly suspect this receiver module is creating the trembling, because if I keep pin5 in air, led 1 and 10 are ON, in sign of error, it's his way of signalling it is air and not connected, that I already am very familiar with. If I ground pin5, all goes off as they should be. If I apply voltage, is lighting up the leds, depending how much voltage I leave on the wire.
- Give me an idea what to do, because at this point I tried every permutation I could think off, and im looking at it in a bit of despair.
Screenshot_2.jpg
I also made a "quick" (10min) movie describing and showing the problem:

Last edited:

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I highly suspect this receiver module is creating the trembling
Correct. If you connect your scope to the data pin you will see why. You have it working in the video with the 10K resistor and 220uf cap. I would try connecting the S line to that junction.
1614273836945.png

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
This idea was good at that moment, but it turned out to be false.
Pin5 from lm3914 is actually +8V and needs to be grounded. In SCM case, is grounded through those 2x10K resistors. And on my breadboard through 10k resistor in my experiment.
1614276148270.png
Now, I made your circuit:
1614276279238.png
And again, that diode must not block S going to the ground.
Here is a very short (4min) movie with your circuit, and how it behaves :

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
I just finished a very small parallel project. It was a necessity project. I had that problem when you have only 1 good power supply but 2 tools to be powered from it. So I made this board that is powering them both, from 1 power supply. Pretty neat, right? Again, necessity is the mother of inventions !
Here is a movie with it, a bit long(13min) :

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
This is another Problem to solve.
Please watch the video to understand it. Thank you.
I am sorry for the long duration of the movie (15min)
SCM Signal or Sensor Signal (SS) Amplification Test

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Try this using one of your 741s. Connect pin 4 to the -5v supply as discussed with the 9 volt battery.
This is an amplifier with a gain of 11.
Gain = 1+ (R2/R1)
1615394551882.png

Last edited:

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
1h long video about a bunch of stuff. It started about this IR remote control emitor and receiver that is on the breadboard at the moment and is working very good. I am very happy about how well it works. All thanks to mister Steve / sghioto.
And also some progress for the component layout.
20210413_054258.jpg

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
The IR receiver module, working just perfect from first built and try. Just excellent.
Many thanks to mister Steve (sghioto).
20210416_110649.jpg
And now the IR transmitter with 2x555 smd . You can see those small pads there. So hard to make and place them. So hard.
20210416_110848.jpg
Because these MANUAL pads are mind blowing HARD to make and place and prepare especially for these tiny SMD IC's, I purchase today some very cheap price+transport SOP8 to DIP8 apapters with 2.62US$ for 100pcs from aliexpress. I think i get a very good deal ,especially now when all the prices got up for everything from our dear China,and especially from ebay. These prices are way more cheaper than ebay ! Ebay is dead for me.
1618561178530.png

q12x

Joined Sep 25, 2015
Many, many, thanks to mister Steve for the remote control module. If it was not him, I could not make it work so good. It's just fantastic when using it live, way batter than my imagination or than watching it in the movie.
A super update: