The end of the world

Thread Starter

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
3,534
If the world should end today and humans no longer rule the earth, perhaps the aliens will discover a lone server, chugging away, waiting for its next TCP request. The alien race should discover the AAC server and understand that not all humans read gossip columns and watched those horribly inaccurate shows making use of "science" to make the plot fit together into nicely packaged 24 minutes of agonizing, mental pain. They should know that there were those of us with a need to create, a need to apply knowledge to a problem to create a solution. They should find that amid the violence associated with humankind, we were inventors and creators, utilizing what we had in order to better understand the universe...


So, if the world ends today, I'd like to say something: what the heck is a "flux capacitor"!?
 

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
2,390
The world was supposed to end at 11:12 a.m. UTC/GMT on 12/21/2012. The time and date is based on GMT. You can adjust for your time zone as needed.

By the time this thread was started, the world was already supposed to have ended :D
 

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
3,944
The world was supposed to end at 11:12 a.m. UTC/GMT on 12/21/2012. The time and date is based on GMT. You can adjust for your time zone as needed.

By the time this thread was started, the world was already supposed to have ended :D
Yea! I survived the end.
 

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
35,180
I wish we would all stop this crap. The Mayans did not say the world would end.
They said that a new 5125-year cycle begins, no different from days turning into a new week, a week into a new month, a month into a new year, a year into a new century, a century into a new millennium.
 

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
816
I wish we would all stop this crap. The Mayans did not say the world would end.
They said that a new 5125-year cycle begins, no different from days turning into a new week, a week into a new month, a month into a new year, a year into a new century, a century into a new millennium.
Agreed its like no ones thinking the mayans possibly thought, hmmmm I think a calander that goes 600 years into the future is long enough.
 

Thread Starter

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
3,534
I wish we would all stop this crap. The Mayans did not say the world would end.
They said that a new 5125-year cycle begins, no different from days turning into a new week, a week into a new month, a month into a new year, a year into a new century, a century into a new millennium.
Well, this post was more farce than anything. it's the people I was describing that bought into the Mayans predicting the end of the world crap in the first place...
 

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
35,180
No. Even you have got it wrong too. The Mayans said nothing about the end of the world.
It is the modern day media that keeps on propagating the crap.
 

Thread Starter

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
3,534
No. Even you have got it wrong too. The Mayans said nothing about the end of the world.
It is the modern day media that keeps on propagating the crap.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying I have wrong, here. I didn't say anything about the Mayans ever predicting the end of the world, just the idea that they did. I know that this is the end of the Long Count, signaling the end of their calendar's 12 cycle period.

Perhaps I should have hyphenated the phrase as "it's the people I was describing that bought into the Mayans-predicting-the-end-of-the-world crap in the first place..."
 

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
35,180
I'm not quite sure what you are saying I have wrong, here. I didn't say anything about the Mayans ever predicting the end of the world, just the idea that they did. I know that this is the end of the Long Count, signaling the end of their calendar's 12 cycle period.

Perhaps I should have hyphenated the phrase as "it's the people I was describing that bought into the Mayans-predicting-the-end-of-the-world crap in the first place..."
Maybe we're not connecting right. I know what you are trying to say but it comes across incorrectly.

The Mayans did not predict the end of the world.

It is modern day people who are creating the hysteria by purposely misinterpreting the Mayan beliefs.
 

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
10,049
No. Even you have got it wrong too. The Mayans said nothing about the end of the world.
It is the modern day media that keeps on propagating the crap.
If I remember right it was a German anthropologist in 1890 -1900 time frame that started it. He was studying the "Dresden Codex" and thought the last page signaled worlds end. This was before the Mayan code was broken. And a few years ago some one in the media started it again.
 
Top