Thanks mods

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If we could get SgtWookie and Bill Marsden to learn a smattering of electronics, this could become a good forum. :p
I am sure someonesdad meant this as joke . Rather than upsetting SgtWookie and Bill Marsden. Both SgtWookie and Bill Marsden contribution to this forum, talks for it self. But as a joke it was a little on the coarse side. In a forum like this every words tends to be interpreted in a in a literal sense.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I am sure someonesdad meant this as joke . Rather than upsetting SgtWookie and Bill Marsden. Both SgtWookie and Bill Marsden contribution to this forum, talks for it self. But as a joke it was a little on the coarse side. In a forum like this every words tends to be interpreted in a in a literal sense.
Was there ever any doubt that someonesdad was joking? The names SftWookie and Bill Marsden are synonyms to AAC as far as I 'm concerned.

Let's get real.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
of course I knew someonesdad was joking.... I believe Srg and bill also know this or Bill would have locked the thread already!! lol :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Naw, when I saw how alone he was on the site I sent a friendship request instead.

Not that he needs it, kids make the best of friends.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Of course I was joking -- I'm surprised anyone might have taken it any other way. I have enormous respect for the contributions of SgtWookie and Bill and many others, as I've stated publicly a number of times. That's why I've been a little surprised it wasn't interpreted as hyperbole. So, if an apology is due, I'm sorry if it bothered anyone. Anyone who knows me knows I like to joke around and look at the funny side of life.

Now, I'll ask you to explain something to me. I've had a number of "friend requests" over the last couple of years, but I've never seen the point of them, so I just delete them. What is their purpose?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My big purpose is to have a convenient place where I can look someone up. It became obvious right after I could not look up TheRB because I didn't remember how he spelled his name exactly. Those pesky letters matter.

If someone requests it and they are a regular I will approve it to make them feel good. It costs nothing and happiness is always in short supply. There is never enough opportunities to increase the worlds supply, use them when you can.

I get about 1 or 2 a week from people who have joined the site but have never posted. Those I delete. My personal requirement is to be an active member for 3 months before I approve such a request.

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
My big purpose is to have a convenient place where I can look someone up. It became obvious right after I could not look up TheRB because I didn't remember how he spelled his name exactly. Those pesky letters matter.

If someone requests it and they are a regular I will approve it to make them feel good. It costs nothing and happiness is always in short supply. There is never enough opportunities to increase the worlds supply, use them when you can.

I get about 1 or 2 a week from people who have joined the site but have never posted. Those I delete. My personal requirement is to be an active member for 3 months before I approve such a request.
But, you approved me the day I joined...With in minutes. :eek:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
But, you approved me the day I joined...With in minutes. :eek:
I suspect that has something to do with me looking over your shoulder when you opened an account.

I control your food intake.

I control your internet connection.

I control your environmental controls.

I've given up controlling you.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I went to my user control panel and there were a number of friend requests waiting (I don't go there very often), but I deleted them all because, excluding Bill, they weren't names I recognize.

Now, Bill, realize that I hold you and all the advice you've given folks in high esteem, so this deletion of a friend request is no reflection on you -- both you and Wookie are folks I listen to. I just can't see any purpose for this "friend" feature -- if someone wants to talk in private, they can just PM me (and vice versa).

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
There's another use for the friend function, you can set up an album that is visible only to friends. I wouldn't use it for that because I just approve every friend request, I'd just set up a password protected page on my website if required.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
To answer the question regarding "Friends". The Friends feature was introduced in v3.7/8 of the vB software, it replaced the old address book. It is, however, also integrated with the privacy controls to your user profile where you can limit access to your profile to just "friends" who you may want to be able to contact you through the forum software or view your photo albums etc. This can all be set via your Privacy Settings.

Dave

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
To answer the question regarding "Friends". The Friends feature was introduced in v3.7/8 of the vB software, it replaced the old address book. It is, however, also integrated with the privacy controls to your user profile where you can limit access to your profile to just "friends" who you may want to be able to contact you through the forum software or view your photo albums etc. This can all be set via your Privacy Settings.

Dave
I really hate the 4.0 vB, they are trying to make it more like a forum with facebook and twitter built in, and look like it. I'm sticking with the 3.x series as well. Feature Creep is going to ruin vBulletin.