Testing EMF blocking hat by just placing phone or radio inside?

Beetle_X

Joined Nov 2, 2012
Title says it all.
If I place a cell phone or am radio inside a EMF blocking hat, and it actually blocks photons, the phone or radio should not work,correct?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Title says it all.
If I place a cell phone or am radio inside a EMF blocking hat, and it actually blocks photons, the phone or radio should not work,correct?
Wrong. Radio and cellphones have nothing to do with photons. Did you learn physics from a correspondence course? You've been seriously misled. Any opaque object will block photons.

Beetle_X

Joined Nov 2, 2012
I did the same experiment with aluminum foil and the foil blocked the reception.
So if radio waves are not made up from photons, what are they made from?

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
photons are particles of light & part of the electromagnetic spectrum .EMF (ElectroMotive Force ) is the electric potential generated by either a electrochemical cell like a battery in your cell phone, or a changing magnetic field. It is also known as voltage.
If you wrap a cell phone in tin foil or aluminum foil it can block/shield electromagnetic signals coming from your cell phone or a electromagnetic signal traveling to your cell phone. The answer is a resounding yes. If done correctly!

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Wrong. Radio and cellphones have nothing to do with photons. Did you learn physics from a correspondence course? You've been seriously misled. Any opaque object will block photons.
Can you elaborate? I thought photons are quanta of the EM spectrum? Also, there is no need to be rude.. lack of knowledge is not a criminal offense.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Radio does comprise the lowest energy photons. Radio is a photonic emission at much longer wavelengths. In fact, there are now nano antennas, tiny dipoles, that are used as far IR sensors.

On the other hand, except for that sort if crossover area, there is a useful, practical distinction between radio and light because of the energy gap. Engineers (excepting those designing nano antennas) never have a reason to consider radio as photonic.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Can you elaborate? I thought photons are quanta of the EM spectrum? Also, there is no need to be rude.. lack of knowledge is not a criminal offense.
Radio waves are not "made up" of anything, and they require nothing to allow them to propagate. It was popular in the 19th century to postulate the existence of a medium called the "ether" which would allow waves to propagate. It turns out that they don't require any such artifice. Nobody is talking about crimes, ignorance is not one, and neither is asking a rhetorical question.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Title says it all.
Let us not forget the main question.

Correct for the most part. To assure that no radio waves get to the receiver the "hat" must completely enclose the receiver.

Title says it all.
It also depends on the direction from where the signal is originating, if the cell phone or AM radio is exposed to that direction, it will receive the signal, by hat I'm assuming it will have an opening below.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I guess he has two cell phones inside the hat, and he is talking to himself on them and does not want anybody to receive their signals.
Oh wait, they must be received by the cell phone tower so this idea will not work.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Title says it all.
I'd like to know , what is the EMF blocking hat you have ,

An EMF ( many definitions, but lets use Electric and Magnetic Field )
to block
is going to be either absorbed or reflected by the hat

"all" materials are to some degree "transparent" to EMF at some frequency
some more than others ,
water, is ok at blue light transmission, not so hot at red, and terrible at radio wave transmission,
Aluminium, reflects most "radio" frequencies, but is transparent to say gama rays,

Anything that has holes, will let more of some frequencies of EMF through

Beetle_X

Joined Nov 2, 2012
Amazon and Ebay sell them. They claim to have silver woven into them.
I have a EMF hat that was a gift and wanted to start wearing it more. I also have a small am radio so I thought it would be a good real world test, just to place the radio in the hat and fold it over so it was completely enclosed.

I have a EMF hat that was a gift and wanted to start wearing it more. I also have a small am radio so I thought it would be a good real world test, just to place the radio in the hat and fold it over so it was completely enclosed.
Can you post a link to the product on Amazon or Ebay?

As you might have realized it might attenuate signals when it is completely folded, if there is an opening, signals would enter through that, when you wear the hat, you might not get the benefit it claims to provide, because signals would enter from below.

Beetle_X

Joined Nov 2, 2012
I think the hat came from a ebay seller but I could not find a listing with the same ad.
I found this seller on Amazon that has the same ugly colors as the ebay seller had so it might be the same.
ugly emf hat

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
So that's called a "faraday cage"
Its equivalent to putting the item into a metal box

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

As you see in the link
the "cage" can have holes and still work

Indeed, shield can be very effective ,at keeping electricity out ,