Testing charging circuit compatibility of two different li-ion batteries

CarmeloBasco

Joined Sep 14, 2016
First of all, this is my first post and i am enthusiastic to be a part of this community. I just don't have experience and knowledge much in electronics if you don't count the most absolute basics of power and current.

I want to ask if you can exchange different li-ions batteries of different charging circuit boards?

Batteries and Circuits used
Energizer XP2200
-uses a samsung ICR18650-28A Cell
-2200 mah
-Input and Output of 5V, 1A

Freebie powerbank:
-No information for cell unit used and input and output specs
-Charging indication (flashing blue and red led)
Why would i do this?
The freebie powerbank is well. It charges and gives power to my phone. While the Energizer one doesn't. I assume it has a faulty circuit board due to the fact that the last time i used it, it charged my phone but was not able

Ugh. I'm sorry but i can't seem to find the edit button a second time after posting way too early and only had a given time of 10 minutes to edit after.

Its this:
First of all, this is my first post and i am enthusiastic to be a part of this community. I just don't have experience and knowledge much in electronics if you don't count the most absolute basics of power and current.

I want to ask if you can exchange different li-ions batteries of different charging circuit boards?

Batteries and Circuits used
Energizer XP2200
-uses a samsung ICR18650-28A Cell
-2200 mah
-Input and Output of 5V, 1A
-Charging indication (3 blue leds lighting one after another to indicate completion of charging -does not work)
Freebie powerbank:
-No information for cell unit used and input and output specs
-Charging indication (flashing blue and red led)
Why would i do this?
The freebie powerbank is well. It charges and gives power to my phone. While the Energizer one doesn't. I assume it has a faulty circuit board due to the fact that the last time i used it, it charged my phone but was not able recharge itself seeings at the blue leds won't work.

Could i exchange both cells without harm? this is to assure if it was the circuit of the energizer that was broken and not the cell itself. Or it could also tell me i was wrong and the energizer circuit may work with freebie powerbank cell and the energizer cell was just drained/broken.

Here are the pics of both power banks
Energizer cell and charging circuit

Energizer cell and circuit

Freebie cell and circuit

Both cells

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Nmjb18

Joined Sep 13, 2016
I am assuming you want to swap out the old cells for new ones? They both look to be the same size cell (18650) which is probably the most common Li-ion cell around. The Samsung cell is easily identified and a data sheet can be found by searching on google (https://www.bto.pl/pdf/02023/icr18650-28A.pdf).

While the standard Li-ion chemistry has a charged voltage of 4.2V, a discharged voltage of 3V and a nominal voltage of 3.7V, you will note from the data sheet that the Samsung cell has respective 4.3V, 2.75V and 3.75V values. This is where you need to be careful, if you were to put a standard chemistry Li-ion onto the Samsung charger circuitry you would at the very least shorten the cells life and at worst have it explode (this is not uncommon with abused cells).

Ultimately, if you can identify the cell, and you are sure you can replace like for like, it is possible. If you can't identify the cell or the charging characteristics of the charge circuitry, you best leaving well alone.

Ultimately, Li-ion cells are very unforgiving, unless you are confident you know what your doing it's not worth it!

CarmeloBasco

Joined Sep 14, 2016
I am assuming you want to swap out the old cells for new ones? They both look to be the same size cell (18650) which is probably the most common Li-ion cell around. The Samsung cell is easily identified and a data sheet can be found by searching on google (https://www.bto.pl/pdf/02023/icr18650-28A.pdf).

While the standard Li-ion chemistry has a charged voltage of 4.2V, a discharged voltage of 3V and a nominal voltage of 3.7V, you will note from the data sheet that the Samsung cell has respective 4.3V, 2.75V and 3.75V values. This is where you need to be careful, if you were to put a standard chemistry Li-ion onto the Samsung charger circuitry you would at the very least shorten the cells life and at worst have it explode (this is not uncommon with abused cells).

Ultimately, if you can identify the cell, and you are sure you can replace like for like, it is possible. If you can't identify the cell or the charging characteristics of the charge circuitry, you best leaving well alone.

Ultimately, Li-ion cells are very unforgiving, unless you are confident you know what your doing it's not worth it!
Man. Thank you so much. After being stubborn and impatient waiting for a reply an hour into creating this thread, a part of me just said well wtf let's just do this. Looking at it now, had everything else been not in place (e.g. wrong cell units leading to a fire) i could have ended up with a disaster. But it did not.

The samsung cell was working with the freebie charging circuit. Although i did notice that its capacity went from being 100% to 50% since it only charged my phone less than half really than it used to.

Plus, the recharging of the samsung cell went an hour longer, i could have assumed it was due to lower input and output. And my assumptions were correct that the original energizer circuit was the one broken, fully charged the freebie cell before exchanging it and it could charge my phone with the energizer circuit that even worked with the blue led indicators. It just couldn't recharge the freebie cell.

Thanks and God bless for the tip again. :)