Test circuit for dac ic (0800)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Build an 8-bit binary synchronous counter circuit clocked by a 555 timer circuit and apply the 8 bits to the input of the DAC.

dandrous

Joined Mar 2, 2015
how can i relate the input applied to dac and output obtained from dac...i know that for each binary input there will be different voltage levels ..so my idea is to find any deviation from the output voltage for particular input can be considered as a error
for example
for a good working dac when ever i apply 10000000 at input suppose there will be an output 9v
for another ic (faulty one) if got 5v with all same parameters that is an error..
so i want to check all the 8bit input combinations inorder to ensure all combinations are working

dandrous

Joined Mar 2, 2015
mrchips i already mentioned that i want to devlope it as an equipment ..it shoud be userfriendly..icluding only one "test "switch is prefered...

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You mean to say you wish it to be an automated process. You didn't say that before.

Output 8 bits from a computer and read the voltage using an ADC or digital voltmeter with a minimum of 12-bit resolution.

dandrous

Joined Mar 2, 2015
You mean to say you wish it to be an automated process. You didn't say that before.

Output 8 bits from a computer and read the voltage using an ADC or digital voltmeter with a minimum of 12-bit resolution.
why 12bit adc? 8bit adc is enough?

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Something I did when I started to deal with DACs was to run them driven by a counter and check the output with a scope for linearity.

Not sure about fine details but I could see easily how it worked. More or less what you do when implementing an R2R network.

dandrous

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Something I did when I started to deal with DACs was to run them driven by a counter and check the output with a scope for linearity.

Not sure about fine details but I could see easily how it worked. More or less what you do when implementing an R2R network.
how i can test linerity?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
how i can test linerity?
The same way you test any dataset for linearity. If the points are within some small deviation from the equation of a straight line then the dataset is linear. You test this by selecting a sample and calculating the mean deviation from the equation of the line and the variance of those deviations.

The freeware language `R' is really helpful with this stuff.
http://www.r-project.org/

dandrous

Joined Mar 2, 2015

The same way you test any dataset for linearity. If the points are within some small deviation from the equation of a straight line then the dataset is linear. You test this by selecting a sample and calculating the mean deviation from the equation of the line and the variance of those deviations.

The freeware language `R' is really helpful with this stuff.
http://www.r-project.org/
How are you going to measure ½-bit errors? You want the ADC to be better than the DAC by at least 2 bits.
check the circuit i have drawn ..it is for testing a dac ic..the concept is that a dac ic convert digital input to analogue and this analogue is passed to the adc..and the obtained digital output is compared with the input ..when the sequence input and output is same its clocked the flipflop to count next state and so on..i wish to use johnson counter when ever there is a mismatch between input and output the counting is stopes and fail indication led is lights..when counting a set of sequence completed it is driven to a pass indication led(i forgot to add a not gate besides that led leav it)..please help me to develop the circuit..and tell me any errors in this..

Attachments