Tesla coil snubber cap question

nissan20det

Joined Apr 3, 2015
Hey guys so I'm not sure if this would work I know, or at least seen on Scopes how well snubber caps help your transients. In my circuit I do have TVS diode as well as MOV's. But after screwing around with some 555 chips , making a frequency generator, I am astonished on how much a snubber cap helped in my circuit. My ring dropped at least 60%, this should be, simple enough of a question and not have to post my entire schematic but I'm running a full Bridge igbts of the FGA60n25s I believe, I have this on a PCB board but trust me I have the least and minimal amount of inductance possible throughout my PCB it is damn near point to point just quite a bit prettier and more organized.

So this capacitor I have attached as a picture, is 1 out of a furnace it does say VAC so I'm a little worried but it is right around the range most people use, so please look at the picture let me know if this is something appropriate or not. If it is not appropriate I would be happy to post my schematic and also how my board looks 2 possibly have u help me pick a snubber cap.

That's over all to make this simpler I know I chat a lot, will this picture work as a snubber cap or no. Thanks I appreciate any insight thanks

If not we can get a little bit more in-depth with my schematic what Troublesome hitting and my goals

Attachments

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
That looks like a start cap for a motor. Don't think they are made to operate for more than a few seconds at a time and 60Hz. Doesn't you circuit work at higher frequency? You need to take that into consideration. Have you seen this place? They have about the best selection and prices on things that might work better for you. https://www.surplussales.com/Capacitors/Index.html

You don't list where your from in your bio, but they used to ship world wide. Not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer that looks there first when I need something.

nissan20det

Joined Apr 3, 2015
Okay so I have two more questions here I appreciate the inside so farI and thank you for the Fast Response.

Now I always I always thought that these were film capacitors but according to that website you sent me, it looks like these are called axial polypropylene. Is that correct(picture)? Also I have quite a few of these in 1uf. If I do about four of these in parallel would that work as its snumber?

If not could you possibly educate me on that website you sent me. I'm really uneducated on capacitors and what are good and bad for Tesla coils. So far I need a tank capacitor for my Drsstc that is 20 nanofarad. I think. And that's if I'm doing my calculations correctly.

I have a secondary current feedback in my circuit now, so when I test this on low-power myself resonance of my secondary coil it's just about 205 to 214k, now I have scrapped my 555 timer as a frequency generator and am now using an Arduino board with an encoder. I can get very fine movement with this anywhere between 250 hZ to 1 million. With a 20 nf and 14 turns of 18 gauge speaker wire around 4.5", I am getting 198k calculated and see around 194k actually when testing. but I have read around that you want your primary residence about 5 to 10 percent lower than your actual secondary Residence is that correct?(on low-power that is) so me shooting for around 194k is that a good number to start with windings?

I read around somewhere that you don't want to match them exactly you want your primary to be slightly lower so at full power you match perfectly, this I would probably test by just adding or taking a quarter winding off at a time to dial in.

So really to sum this up, could you possibly link me on that website to a good 20 nanofarad tank cap, I'm really bad at knowing about the ESR value and stuff like that. But I'd like one that has big tabs on it so I know it can't handle the current.

The next is if this picture I sent of these caps, are those okay as numbers if I parallel 4 for 4uf? If not could you also link me to a good Snapper cap? I understand you may need to see my circuit to get the correct value for that snubber cap and if so I can post that. But really those are the two things I need help with right now. Snubber cap and tank cap choice.

Thank you guys I appreciate any help

Last edited:

nissan20det

Joined Apr 3, 2015
Also I'd like to ask if this would be okay for tank capacitor. I know the weed your kind of small, but this coil is fairly small itself I'm not looking to run this close to its maximum threshold does fga60s are 600w so with this being a full bridge I have a maximum output possibility of 1200 lot before I fry stuff, that's also if I had a great cooling to get near that.

Here's a pic of what gets me at a 194khz with my primary right now. I'm not sure what type this is but the leads seem kind of thin.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hey guys so I'm not sure if this would work I know, or at least seen on Scopes how well snubber caps help your transients. In my circuit I do have TVS diode as well as MOV's. But after screwing around with some 555 chips , making a frequency generator, I am astonished on how much a snubber cap helped in my circuit. My ring dropped at least 60%, this should be, simple enough of a question and not have to post my entire schematic but I'm running a full Bridge igbts of the FGA60n25s I believe, I have this on a PCB board but trust me I have the least and minimal amount of inductance possible throughout my PCB it is damn near point to point just quite a bit prettier and more organized.

So this capacitor I have attached as a picture, is 1 out of a furnace it does say VAC so I'm a little worried but it is right around the range most people use, so please look at the picture let me know if this is something appropriate or not. If it is not appropriate I would be happy to post my schematic and also how my board looks 2 possibly have u help me pick a snubber cap.

That's over all to make this simpler I know I chat a lot, will this picture work as a snubber cap or no. Thanks I appreciate any insight thanks

If not we can get a little bit more in-depth with my schematic what Troublesome hitting and my goals
The capacitor in the picture is a motor RUN capacitor, I just had to purchase one a month ago. So it is good for constant duty, but only within it's specified limits.
AND, going into depth with an actual circuit schematic is the very best way to get answers that actually relate to your question, so I recommend doing that.