Tesla Coil! First real setup need some help

nissan20det

Joined Apr 3, 2015
On the transformer it is center tapped on the secondary. The primary does have a 0-360-220 inputs. So not quite a center tap, just the ability to run off 360 and still get 14-0-14, I'm not even using the center tap on the secondary. I'm using it as 28v. I guess I could if I were using it in a half bridge setup but I kinda like the full bridge.

Okay I didn't think of that since his is voltage doubled. So let's just say it a full bridge. The cap are not there anymore, there are some but just for filtering. And then the 4.7uf DC blocking cap is there at the primary.

He talks as if it has only to do with his primary windings/inductance. He said in his write-up that he was pulling about 13 amps but when he decided to make his primary four inches instead of three and a half he was able to drop out one turn from 7 to 6 turns on his primary which up his current from 13 to 15. So theoretically is the inductance of the coil what portrays what amperage you'll be at? Do you happen to know how to calculate how much current you will have based on your inductance? Pretty much the same calculation as using a inductor as a choke. So what inductance will limit the current to what value?

220/360 volt? That's an old European standard... Where'd you get that transformer? How many amps do you need at 28V, and is it the main power in?

Could you modify the provided schematic to match your exact setup, and/or post pics of your circuit? That would help for sure.

In theory since it is DC, an inductor would do nothing to limit current. However being that it is pulsed DC at a high frequency, it would likely limit the pulse current, though I'm not sure how to calculate that. What frequency is it running at?

Last edited:

nissan20det

Joined Apr 3, 2015
Not sure on frequency I'll check tomorrow. Quite a few coils won't work. By quite a few I mean only one of 7 works. My big one for SGTC. My guess it s the res-freq is to high on the others.

Also I just found this out today but I also need help with it. I was using a 110nf cap for DC blocking at the primary. He uses a 4.7uf which I did get.... (2.5in 24gauge 640 turn is my secondary) 16 gauge solid wire as my primary. Probly 10 turns @ 2.75" .5 spacing. It will only work with the 110nf if I clamp at 2 turns up(about 1inch from bottom) and 1.5 turns to the next clamp. But in his setup he gained 2amps by dropping from 7-6turns. So my 1.5 I'm sure will pull way to much current. Now with the 4.7uf I was able to go to a 4in diam primary and it works with 4 turns. So closer but I'm lost why I can't get any other secondarys to work.

550 turn 3.5in 34 gauge 5in tall
380 turn 3.5in 24 gauge 7in tall
420 turn 1.3in 32 gauge 7in tall
540 turn 1in. 36 gauge 2in tall

So im not sure if I just need a lower res-freq secondary. I do have 1500' of 36gauge coil wore but im not sure if that'll handle this on 120 mains @ 15amp on primary. What do you think? His was running around 300khz. My big one is the lowest, with big ass topload still 600khz. So that's my thought since the lower I go it seams better, but adding a second toroid to my big one required be to take out turns of primary so for some reason that's making me go in the opposite direction.

I get lost as well because if the self tunes and pulses the primary at secondarys resonance, why does my primary need to match?. Then how the hell do I get my primary down to 300khz??? That's like 40 turns of .25 pipe. Obviously the DC blocking cap adds capacitance to my primary changing my resonance. But I have no clue how to calculate that...

Any thoughts tho? Would making a 36 gauge 1000 turn on 2.5in PVC help/handle this? I would do 3.5in but to get 8inchs I would need 1900turns. Putting resonant very very low. I'm just stuck on primary/secondary. He did 6turn 4.5 primary with 950 turn 34 gauge on 3.5" PVC.

I did try the transformer on 220. Did good. About 1.5 amp @ 27volt. But I did find a time hp 32v .866a power supply laying around today. That just as good. But still only get streamers off my antenna. Sparks off breaking point only if my had is close to it. (Or I arc it to a screw driver)...