Tesla Coil - Anyone Know about these?

DrainMan

Joined Mar 21, 2020
So I purchased the one Tesla coil kit It is the TS version. I ran through all of the manual and setup and I did everything correctly There is a low voltage test where you listen for a buzzing sound which is confirmation that it's working correctly.

I apologize I don't even know if this is the correct category to post this in

I've not found any support their website no one responds.

So I got it all connected And when I power it up the fuse blows instantly. The manual says that if that happens to make sure you check for polarity among other things I have checked them all. It says that the IGBTs are possibly dead I check those They are also testing good I removed them from the circuit to test them.

If anybody has any suggestions I am open to them I need some help here from more experienced electronics guys.

I love electronics but I am still new to it. I have a hanmatek DOS1102 If anyone thinks a oscilloscope will help me troubleshoot this

Thank you in advance for any help that anybody can lend me!

Attachments

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
ran through all of the manual and setup and I did everything correctly
Then there is a mystery afoot! Even Nobel laureates have their work checked by colleagues, acquaintances or anybody who walks in the lunchroom, it's no big thing. If possible I would like to see the technical documentation they sent you.Please.
:)

bigjoncoop

Joined Feb 1, 2019
Then there is a mystery afoot! Even Nobel laureates have their work checked by colleagues, acquaintances or anybody who walks in the lunchroom, it's no big thing. If possible I would like to see the technical documentation they sent you.Please.
:)
Hey @Delta prime
@DrainMan

im friends with drainman and have been trying to help him also with this Tesla coil problem. Here is a link to the documentation they gave him. It includes instructions and a bunch of other info.

http://www.onetesla.com/oneTeslaTS_User_Manual.pdf

and here is a link to the product page:
http://onetesla.com/products/oneteslats.html

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
So I got it all connected And when I power it up the fuse blows instantly.
I love electronics but I am still new to it.
Being this is DIY kit , how new to soldering are you? The fuse blowing instantly suggests a solder bridge may be your problem. A solder bridge is where 2 or more PCB traces or components are connected when they shouldn't be, due to excess solder on a connection. Look very closely at all of your soldering work, with a magnifying glass if needed, it doesn't take much of a bridge to cause troubles.

If any stranded wire was used in the kit it could also be a stray strand touching where it shouldn't.

bigjoncoop

Joined Feb 1, 2019
Being this is DIY kit , how new to soldering are you?
If any stranded wire was used in the kit it could also be a stray strand touching where it shouldn't.
Hey @shortbus

Thx for your suggestions. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the problem...

DrainMan is new to drawing schematics and designing circuits, and to what each component actually does. But he's been building and soldering on Circuit boards for quite a while.

It's a habit for us both, when we get done soldering components onto a PCB to go back and check all the solder joints and to look for any mistakes...

In the manual for this Tesla coil it does mention in the troubleshooting steps that if the fuse blows immediately upon powering up to check a few things. It seems to be a common problem. As well as on their forum it is a pretty popular topic. With that said though me and drainman have checked everything they mentioned in the manual including removing the IGBT's from the circuit and testing each one...

I've been trying to help drainman get this thing figured out. This kit cost like $500 and unfortunately the issue we're having seems to be pretty common. I wish this wasn't the case considering the amount of money this thing cost... in the Forum a few people mentioned something about building some type of shielding to go around certain components to help from this issue

Last edited: