Television Convergence Board Soldering Question?

philadelphia1

Joined Jun 24, 2016
Hello,

I'm hoping you kind professionals can help me with a problem I'm having soldering an convergence IC to my televisions Pcb board. The convergence went out on my projection screen television, so I purchased new IC's and removed the old ones with a desoldering iron that has a vacuum bulb. With the new installation I can't get the solder to stick to IC pin # 3, the solder wont take to the board. Perhaps I pulled a pad if in fact there is one? I'm not sure if there was one even there?. Or perhaps the board is oxidized? Please have a look at the attached picture, the pin I'm having trouble with is #3 and is circled in red. If you blow it up its easier to see. I tried to sand it very lightly with a fine nail file followed by and isopropyl Q-tip clean-up and still cant get it to take to the board. I'm a novice but really enjoy learning. Any help and guidance you folks can provide is greatly appreciated!
Convergence ic pin #3.jpg

Thanks,

-Shawn in Philly
Convergence ic pin #3.jpg

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am afraid you have ruined that pad and maybe some of the others. At this point, you have to start considering adding some wire bridges to connect the pins to what remains of the tracks. Difficult to do! I hope I am wrong and someone else will have a more helpful opinion.

philadelphia1

Joined Jun 24, 2016
I am afraid you have ruined that pad and maybe some of the others. At this point, you have to start considering adding some wire bridges to connect the pins to what remains of the tracks. Difficult to do! I hope I am wrong and someone else will have a more helpful opinion.
Thanks for the quick reply tracecom! I was able to get the solder to stick to every other pin/leg except #3 which is allocated to the mute function on the tv according the schematic

philadelphia1_pin3 schematic.jpg

Moderators note: removed white space from picture

Last edited by a moderator:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Does your projector have a feature that relates to the mute pin? If the pin you are having trouble with is pin 3, it might not need to be soldered.

philadelphia1

Joined Jun 24, 2016
Does your projector have a feature that relates to the mute pin? If the pin you are having trouble with is pin 3, it might not need to be soldered.
I was thinking the same thing by looking at the schematic but wasn't sure? I believe it relates to an external mute function. Thanks for your input Mr Capples! its appreciated.