Tektronix 2432A noisy trace

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I have a 2432A scope which works fine but has a slightly noise trace (the readout text is fine), see photo. Any hint where I have to start lokking to repair this?
I just changed all the caps on the power supply and main board to yield some nice crisp lines on a Tek 2430A. Usually all it takes. Make sure the cap voltages and capacitances are correct.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If the pre-amp processing noise is at the same level as my old scope it's just an artifact of old TEK equipment. There really is no practical fix.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
If I remember right, these scopes show the number of hours used in their lifetime. Check yours. It may be tens-of-thousands if in a lab and it was turned on every morning to warm up in case it was needed. Mine had very few hours and spent its life with the dust cover on it on a shelf. Total hours is under 1000. It's either my 2440 or my 2465 that shows hours (or both?).

gerdy

Joined Feb 16, 2023
If I remember right, these scopes show the number of hours used in their lifetime. Check yours. It may be tens-of-thousands if in a lab and it was turned on every morning to warm up in case it was needed. Mine had very few hours and spent its life with the dust cover on it on a shelf. Total hours is under 1000. It's either my 2440 or my 2465 that shows hours (or both?).
My scope has 4400 hours running time, that's not much I suppose.