Teensy 4.1: Wow. Teensy 4.1

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I agree getting into programming but when you eventually find that all the horsepower is connected to a VW 8-bit Arduino chassis as a comprise to compatibility it's a shame IMO. The bare-metal/RTOS programming examples are exactly what I'm talking about with technical sophistication wanting something different. ;)
Teenseys are 32 bit , not 8 bit, and can easily run above 600 MHz.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Teenseys are 32 bit , not 8 bit, and can easily run above 600 MHz.
It was a lame attempt at a joke. :( 32-bit and 600MHz == horsepower. Massive engine in a VW bug of Arduino compatible programming environments.

I obviously know about 32-bit processors with Arduino compatibility because I've used pic32 Arduino compatible boards years. but mainly outside the Arduino development environment.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...e-siglent-1202xe-thoughts.141452/post-1195472
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/what-do-you-define-in-a-program.135246/post-1130088

Last edited:
It was a lame attempt at a joke. :( 32-bit and 600MHz == horsepower. Massive engine in a VW bug of Arduino compatible programming environments.

I obviously know about 32-bit processors with Arduino compatibility because I've used pic32 Arduino compatible boards years. but mainly outside the Arduino development environment.
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...e-siglent-1202xe-thoughts.141452/post-1195472
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/what-do-you-define-in-a-program.135246/post-1130088
FYI Adafruit carries the boards from PJRC and includes a bunch of add ons to further expand its amazing functionality.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
:: Hand to Face :: Gone are the days when you just gutted it out and made everything yourself. If you needed e/net, you wrote the code to do it; if you needed more memory, you wrote the code to manage DRAMs; If you wanted to connect to a device, you wrote a device manager, and then drivers..... Builds character!!!

Poor, poor @Yaakov... caved to wanting an easier road... not one filled with late nights, and frustrated debugging, and endless time flow-charting and testing it by hand- over and over..... The weeping, the gnashing of teeth. And finally after weeks of struggling, getting it work, holding it aloft and screaming "I CAN DO ANYTHING!!!!!!"..... and breaking down and sobbing because friends and family don't understand why you spend so much time in the dark in front of a cold monitor.... burning your eyes with phosphor green and the endless dot-matrix pouring out page after page of listings....

@Yaakov... just glad you're enjoying it. It is truly remarkable how many SMT/SMD components can fit in such a tiny space and do so much today- one of the main reasons I got into reflow work.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
:: Hand to Face :: Gone are the days when you just gutted it out and made everything yourself. If you needed e/net, you wrote the code to do it; if you needed more memory, you wrote the code to manage DRAMs; If you wanted to connect to a device, you wrote a device manager, and then drivers..... Builds character!!!

Poor, poor @Yaakov... caved to wanting an easier road... not one filled with late nights, and frustrated debugging, and endless time flow-charting and testing it by hand- over and over..... The weeping, the gnashing of teeth. And finally after weeks of struggling, getting it work, holding it aloft and screaming "I CAN DO ANYTHING!!!!!!"..... and breaking down and sobbing because friends and family don't understand why you spend so much time in the dark in front of a cold monitor.... burning your eyes with phosphor green and the endless dot-matrix pouring out page after page of listings....

@Yaakov... just glad you're enjoying it. It is truly remarkable how many SMT/SMD components can fit in such a tiny space and do so much today- one of the main reasons I got into reflow work.
All true but usually that process only happens once at each difficulty level and you learn a lot from it. Somebody still has to write those low-level drivers and handle the bits for the upper level API. Those that do it, love it and it's easy now.

0_cv9og-BfKnLQuS5r.gif

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
FYI, Arduino just released Beta 2.0 of their IDE. It includes new features such as
  • Code indentation
  • Block folding
  • Auto-closing brackets
  • Regular expression search and replace
  • Comment toggling
  • Auto completion of variables and functions
  • Live debugging (no more Serial.print())
  • Other additional features are responsive interface and faster compilation time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
FYI, Arduino just released Beta 2.0 of their IDE. It includes new features such as
  • Code indentation
  • Block folding
  • Auto-closing brackets
  • Regular expression search and replace
  • Comment toggling
  • Auto completion of variables and functions
  • Other additional features are live debugging, autocompletion, responsive interface and faster compilation time.
I don't think many people use the Arduino editor, others such as Notepad++ click in nicely.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Maybe more people would use the Arduino IDE with built-in step debugging.

Plus, uploading to a (supported) microcontroller is just a click.

And the Arduino IDE has support for the Teensy (At least some models)(even on a Mac) with the add-in from pjrc.com

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Maybe more people would use the Arduino IDE with built-in step debugging.

Plus, uploading to a (supported) microcontroller is just a click.

And the Arduino IDE has support for the Teensy (At least some models)(even on a Mac) with the add-in from pjrc.com
I use Teensyduino which is a fork of the Arduino IDE for the MacOS. On Windows, you add in to the Arduino IDE on MacOS it's a replacement for the whole thing. There is no Teensyduino fork of the 2.0 beta for MacOS, but the Arduino version runs seemingly.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I know paul has been workgin hard with Arduino to allow compatibles to be supported with out the extra steps.

I will give 2.0 a go, got used to doing things my own way.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
One that blew my mind is that Cypress Semiconductor makes several demo boards that combine the Arduino footprint with a Cypress Programmable System on a Chip (PSOC) allowing one to develop either hardware based or software based solutions or even combinations thereof. It doesn't work with the Arduino IDE yet, but Cypress' development platform is just as easy to pick up.
The Arduino footprint allows one to use Arduino shields with the boards.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
All true but usually that process only happens once at each difficulty level and you learn a lot from it. Somebody still has to write those low-level drivers and handle the bits for the upper level API. Those that do it, love it and it's easy now.

View attachment 233455
yeah... some like me just won't have it any other way. If I do it all, I have full control... performance, footprint, security.... everything. Not saying my way is the right way.... but at the end of the day I find doing it ground-up is so much easier and direct than messing with other people's (somtimes) poorly designed or written stuff... IMHO.