Suggestion for undergrad thesis

siam

Joined Sep 21, 2012
Hello all!I am an undergrad student from EEE discipline.I have to do a thesis in my final year.My topic of interest is smart grid.SO can any of u suggest me some specific important area of smart grid for thesis work.Thanx in advance!

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello all!I am an undergrad student from EEE discipline.I have to do a thesis in my final year.My topic of interest is smart grid.SO can any of u suggest me some specific important area of smart grid for thesis work.Thanx in advance!
Let's turn this around. If you have an interest in Smart Grid, why don't you list your view of the problems with smart grid that need to be addressed before it will get implemented. Also, let us know what resources (lab equipment) your school has for grid-voltage experiments.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
First you have to computerize everything from the windmill on the hill to the outlets inside the houses. Then you interface all this to the internet so any hacker or foreign government can shut down the whole country. Then you bill the citizens to pay you for both the implementation and the failures it causes.

http://energy.gov/oe/services/technology-development/smart-grid

Yep. An MCU in every outlet, all connected to the internet and all billed to the customer. So smart! Much money! Big improvement!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The topic is too broad. A suitable thesis topic is one where you have an opportunity to do some original research. I would suggest you start by examining the current obstacles to implementation. Security has been mentioned and that seems like a target rich environment to pursue. How will you prevent a malicious agent from causing the grid to malfunction. I don't think there are very many good answers out there. As a side note you might also research what the automakers are or are not doing to secure smart vehicles. It is a similar problem set.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
No not really. It just seems to me that the IOT presents a wide array of attack vectors. Who knew for example that the FM radio attached to the CAN bus in a vehicle could be used to compromise the EEC (Electronic Engine Control).