Stumped on what to do on my digital clock project.

Antonisu

Joined Jan 16, 2022
Hey everyone,
I recently enrolled in a computer science major, and one of the subjects has to do with circuits, memory, the cpu, logic gates etc.
The problem is, I have absolutely 0 experience on such things, and now with covid and learning from home I haven't really grasped much of my professor's lectures.
Now that the course is ending, our professor has tasked us with creating a digital clock that can switch between a 24hour format to a 12hour format, setting the time of the clock, and setting an alarm.
I have thought of a way for the clock to count up to 24 hours using counters & hex displays, but other than that I only have a few guesses as to what I can do next.
Also, the project must be done completely in circuitverse.
Any advice on what I can do next would be greatly appreciated. :)

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
  1. Learn Circuitverse
  2. Research circuits for 12 hour and 24 hour clocks
  3. Build one of each in Circuitverse
  4. Identify how to implement both in one circuit with a switch between the two
  5. Post your answers here to be validated
  6. Pass in your project for a grade
Note as this is Homework Help, members aren’t supposed to provide the answers. However, we will review your work and guide you to a solution.

The ball is in your court. Good luck!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
The problem is, I have absolutely 0 experience on such things, and now with covid and learning from home I haven't really grasped much of my professor's lectures.
That's going to be a problem. You should have been asking questions about things that you weren't understanding along the way. Waiting until the class is almost over doesn't bode well for getting a good grade or actually learning something.

It would be helpful if you posted the complete text for the problem so we can see exactly what you're being asked to do.

Have you been designing counters? Have they been asynchronous or synchronous?

When is the project due? How long have you been working on it?

Antonisu

Joined Jan 16, 2022
Welcome to AAC!
That's going to be a problem. You should have been asking questions about things that you weren't understanding along the way. Waiting until the class is almost over doesn't bode well for getting a good grade or actually learning something.

It would be helpful if you posted the complete text for the problem so we can see exactly what you're being asked to do.

Have you been designing counters? Have they been asynchronous or synchronous?

When is the project due? How long have you been working on it?

It's due for friday of this week, however the work is shared between me and another student, and I have been working on it only for a few days.
Attached is the complete instructions.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Attached is the complete instructions.
The instructions are vague. What have you been studying in this class? Were you designing counters? Or using commercial devices?

Having an alarm and being able to set the time adds tedium to the project, but it's not difficult.

Post what you have so far and describe the difficulties you're having.

What you posted is more like a block diagram because we can't see what's in the counter boxes.

Antonisu

Joined Jan 16, 2022
The instructions are vague. What have you been studying in this class? Were you designing counters? Or using commercial devices?

Having an alarm and being able to set the time adds tedium to the project, but it's not difficult.

Post what you have so far and describe the difficulties you're having.

What you posted is more like a block diagram because we can't see what's in the counter boxes.
To answer your question, in class we have been studying mostly theory on how the components of a computer work, binary, gates, circuits, Karnaugh maps, as well as S-R latch, D Latch & D flip-flop.
I have designed both a 12-hour clock and a 24-hour clock with the ability to set the time, however I have no idea what to do in order to switch between them, and change from AM to PM.
Here is what I have done so far:
(I know that I need to change the clock time to 30k ms.)

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have designed both a 12-hour clock and a 24-hour clock with the ability to set the time, however I have no idea what to do in order to switch between them, and change from AM to PM.
It appears that the simulator you're using does the work of "designing" the counters for the digits. You just supply the maximum count for each counter. That statement should give you a hint for how to implement a clock that can switch between 12- and 24-hour format.

BTW, when you draw schematics, you shouldn't draw wires over the symbols. This OR gate should be wired like the AND gate to the right (maybe without so much whitespace).
1642438878444.png 1642438977608.png
Having connection dots at every wire bend makes the schematic look cluttered.

Last edited:

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hey everyone,
I recently enrolled in a computer science major, and one of the subjects has to do with circuits, memory, the cpu, logic gates etc.
Now that the course is ending, our professor has tasked us with creating a digital clock that can switch between a 24hour format to a 12hour format, setting the time of the clock, and setting an alarm.
I have thought of a way for the clock to count up to 24 hours using counters & hex displays, but other than that I only have a few guesses as to what I can do next.
Also, the project must be done completely in circuitverse.
Any advice on what I can do next would be greatly appreciated. :)
Title: Understanding Basic Electronics, 1st Ed.
Publisher: The American Radio Relay League
ISBN: 0-87259-398-3

There is no shortcut for experience. You should have asked your teacher for assistance during the course- that's what they really get paid for.

Antonisu

Joined Jan 16, 2022
It appears that the simulator you're using does the work of "designing" the counters for the digits. You just supply the maximum count for each counter. That statement should give you a hint for how to implement a clock that can switch between 12- and 24-hour format.

BTW, when you draw schematics, you shouldn't draw wires over the symbols. This OR gate should be wired like the AND gate to the right (maybe without so much whitespace).
View attachment 257964 View attachment 257965
Having connection dots at every wire bend makes the schematic look cluttered.
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
However, I thought of using a multiplexer with a pair of tunnels in order to switch between AM-PM and I was wondering if I could do something similar with the switch between the 12-hour and 24-hour clocks.
Here is my progress:

Attachments