Strange 'Shroom

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Anyone see a mushroom (or some other fungus) like this before? It seems to have grown "around" the blades of grass without disturbing them. And it grew overnight: wasn't there yesterday.

About 6.5" in diameter.

20190722_172933.jpg 20190722_172940.jpg 20190722_172950.jpg

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
1) Fast growth not unusual. Quite large ones grow overnight.
2) I have not seen what you show with grass.
3) Doesn't look like porcini to me.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Not unusual growth. No 1 rule for fungi is if you don't know don't. There is one genus (Amanita) that is deadly and several that will make you think you are dying and would probably feel better if you did.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Guys, I'm not about to eat it. I'm just curious.

I'm beginning to think it is some variety of slime mold, though I cannot find anything on Google that looks similar.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Not unusual growth. No 1 rule for fungi is if you don't know don't. There is one genus (Amanita) that is deadly and several that will make you think you are dying and would probably feel better if you did.
I think you underestimate the toxicity of some species: https://www.britannica.com/list/7-of-the-worlds-most-poisonous-mushrooms

There are many edible mushrooms. The problem is the very close similarity of the poisonous ones versus the edible ones. BTW, why can squirrels and gophers eat them and not get poisoned?
Like many rodents, they have a very fast transit time and don't absorb enough of the toxin.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Iv'e been harvesting edible wild mushrooms since the 70s. Not that many down here in Coastal GA and not too many in Central AL. Lot's in the Midwest and Northwest though... Slime molds are just that, slime. Many spongioforms and if it doesn't have gills underneath that is what it is.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Iv'e been harvesting edible wild mushrooms since the 70s. Not that many down here in Coastal GA and not too many in Central AL. Lot's in the Midwest and Northwest though... Slime molds are just that, slime. Many spongioforms and if it doesn't have gills underneath that is what it is.
Hope you are on the organ donor and liver recipient lists. :)

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Well according to Dr. Beasly who was the head of our Univ. Biology dept. none of them are safe because they so easily mutate. But I do like mushrooms with my grilled red meat. Then there was my neighbor who didn't pay attention to the footnotes and served up a bunch that contains a chemical used to treat alcoholism in a wine sauce. The chemical reacts with alcohol to induce nausea thereby causing negative reinforcement to the behavior of alcoholics. His wife was not amused.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
You guys peaked my curiosity. Went outside to play with it.

Definitely a mushroom, not a slime mold. The pictures above are of the cap. Here's underneath:

20190722_191641.jpg

And a side view of the stalk:

20190722_191743.jpg

There was a baby next to it:

20190722_191704.jpg

The texture is very hard, strong, and solid. It took some effort to break the stalk so I could flip the cap.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
A "woody" spongiform often seen on the trunk of dead trees as a shelf or bracket fungus more often than on the ground. It is amazing how rapidly they can "bloom" overnight. One of the ones I used to collect in Illinois was called the Inky Cap. If you didn't harvest them first thing in the morning by 10-11AM they lived up to their name and liquified into "black ink".

EDIT: The mushroom is actually the "reproductive organ" of the fungus mass and is typically less than ~2% of its total mass.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Have you got any 5G towers nearby? Or have you been playing with that accelerator again?

You should have trail camera-ed it. The animation might not be over.

Can you find any other "buds"?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007