Strange Device

mThED17

Joined May 18, 2021
Hello… I recently found an odd device on my home. I discovered it while setting up a security camera in my attic to check on a possible trapped animal. Spotted it on the wall; can NOT identify. I’ve included some photos and a link to some video of the device in operation(?). Thank you in advance for easing my mind.
Video: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0DT8QqMPIjoR0CQy_uTSpT_Ig

Attachments

mThED17

Joined May 18, 2021
It is above my master bedroom. This is the second one I’ve found. If you watched the video, they seem to be emitting light. Upon examination of the board, I noticed a few trace lines to be soldered over by hand, additional small Tesla coils, and a microwave relay logic chip. This board was powered by a coax cable with no active cable plan; just using the 5-7V off the line. The load was the large Tesla coil. A WPT, maybe..? To emit light you need like 640 THz.!?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I don't see any "Tesla" coils but there are several copper coiled inductors on the board which tell me RF receiver. Could well be active TV antenna if not amplified RF receiver for garage door opener.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Were the devices powered when you found them? Or were they disconnected and abandoned? Was there a wire connecting them to anything?? There is a lot more information needed unless somebody recognizes them.
AND certainly there was nothing similar to a Tesla coil in any of the pcyures. Coils, yes, but not Tesla coils.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Looks like an active antenna amplifier to me as others have also pointed out.
If it is any sort of antenna it seems that there should be a feed-line to whatever it was the antenna for. At least that has been my experience. And any sneaky listening device needs to have a power source of some kind, at least most of them do.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I see a coax. Commonly the operating power is piggy-backed on the RF cable.
I also saw the coaxial cable, but the TS made no mention of it and so I was indeed left wondering. It should be possible to follow those cables and get a good clue as to what the devices were intended to do.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I also saw the coaxial cable, but the TS made no mention of it and so I was indeed left wondering. It should be possible to follow those cables and get a good clue as to what the devices were intended to do.
(Some text removed for clarity) This board was powered by a coax cable with no active cable plan; just using the 5-7V off the line. The load was the large Tesla coil. A WPT, maybe..? To emit light you need like 640 THz.!?

anniel747

Joined Oct 18, 2020
I don't see any "Tesla" coils but there are several copper coiled inductors on the board which tell me RF receiver. Could well be active TV antenna if not amplified RF receiver for garage door opener.
He is probably referring to the coax coiled inside the PVC pipe as a Tesla coil

anniel747

Joined Oct 18, 2020
If it is any sort of antenna it seems that there should be a feed-line to whatever it was the antenna for. At least that has been my experience. And any sneaky listening device needs to have a power source of some kind, at least most of them do.
The feed line is the coiled coax that looks to be cut.