Stepper Driver question

forder

Joined Sep 20, 2007
I'm working on a Stepper motor system. In the system, I receive command signal from a Pushbutton controller device. The pushbutton controller device will send me square wave signals. If the signal is 101 (high-low-high), I should rotate the motor 90 degrees from its initial position, regardless of counter clockwise or clockwise. My question is, is the pushbutton controller device is my driver? I mean, I search through the internet and found that most stepper drivers are driven by microcontrollers. But my project doesn't allow any microcontrollers. Do I need any other chip or is the signal from the control device sufficient enough to drive the motor?

I'm sorry if I approach the problem in the wrong direction. But what I understand about the stepper system is that, a stepper system has three basic element, which are the controller (ie microcontrollers), driver and the motor itself. What I understand is that, controller gives the instruction in step pulses, then the driver will convert the instruction into power, then the motor will get the power to rotate.

Any helps and suggestions are really appreciated.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
What I understand is that, controller gives the instruction in step pulses, then the driver will convert the instruction into power, then the motor will get the power to rotate.
That is my understanding as well.

Note that your control signals must have the proper phase relationships. A couple of ring counters would be one way to achieve this. Might also be able to use some divide-by-n counters by getting clever with where the set & reset signals are taken from.