Stepper Driver optimization

techdesk

Joined May 24, 2021
Hello all
I need help with a very simple circuit. I send pulse signals from a PLC to the stepper drivers STEP and DIR. I need a circuit to intercept these pulses and
then send to the driver. the circuit must send the exact pulses once to the driver and after 500msec send the exact pulses but in the opposite, For
Examplle if I send +1000 steps, the buffer must send this +1000 steps immediately to the driver and after 500msecs, resend the 1000 pulses but as -1000 steps.
Any help with a circuit here?

techdesk

Joined May 24, 2021
It is far easier and way more reliable to just do it yourself instead of relying on an external device to do it for you.
I use GCode to control the steppers. A you say it is easier if only straight lines are involved. But To make an arc and have the same code reversed is impossible. I am building a wire bender and the one axis needs to rotate to and fro. This is not possible in GCode using the radius or centerpoint code

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I use GCode to control the steppers. A you say it is easier if only straight lines are involved. But To make an arc and have the same code reversed is impossible. I am building a wire bender and the one axis needs to rotate to and fro. This is not possible in GCode using the radius or centerpoint code
I seem to remember doing G-Codes by hand and retracing a path was not a complicated operation. It is true that we were using a Bridgeport Mill with servo drives but that has nothing to do with the G-Codes.

In order to make an arc you have to coordinate the motion of two axes simultaneously. One thousand steps on each of two axes is quite a bit of information to remember and replaying it in revers order with correct timing seems to me a challenging proposition.

techdesk

Joined May 24, 2021
I seem to remember doing G-Codes by hand and retracing a path was not a complicated operation. It is true that we were using a Bridgeport Mill with servo drives but that has nothing to do with the G-Codes.

In order to make an arc you have to coordinate the motion of two axes simultaneously. One thousand steps on each of two axes is quite a bit of information to remember and replaying it in revers order with correct timing seems to me a challenging proposition.
Thank you for your information. I could use another controller and write custom code to do arcs bending etc. The reason I want GCode is that many drawing programs allow the designs to be saved in DXF format. To convert DXF into Gcode is easy. Plus most controllers out their can all read GCode. Only specialized controllers can read custom code. I do not want to re-invent the wheel

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thank you for your information. I could use another controller and write custom code to do arcs bending etc. The reason I want GCode is that many drawing programs allow the designs to be saved in DXF format. To convert DXF into Gcode is easy. Plus most controllers out their can all read GCode. Only specialized controllers can read custom code. I do not want to re-invent the wheel
I may have conflated a product called GCode with the generically named G-Codes which have been used to program machine tools of all kinds for over 60 years.
G-code - Wikipedia
If that is indeed the case then I have no viable solution for your problem.