Step down transformer (220-110) :: sewing machine motor running in REVERSE

Andrezed

Joined Nov 26, 2017
I moved an industrial sewing machine from 110 land (Colombia) to 220 land (France). I plugged it in through a Bronson step up/down transformer to a polarized 220 outlet. The Sewing machine is 110 polarized plug. When I started it up it works just fine - just in reverse! Is there anything I can do outside of rewiring the motor (wires deep in the motor housing) to make things right?
Sewing Machine: Gemsy single needle direct drive
Transformer: Bronson 500Watt up/down

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Even if the transformer is supplying the wrong voltage to the machine I don't see that it would cause the motor to run in reverse. The first think to check is that the output from the transformer is 110 volts.

Les.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
I see mains frequency in France is 50Hz, while in Columbia it is 60Hz.

Check the label on the sewing machine to see frequency requirements. If it is 60Hz only, then I know of no simple solution to your problem.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
What sort of motor is it? Usually, domestic sewing machines have universal motors but I don't know about industrial ones. If the only thing electrical (non computerized) part is the motor just replacing the motor itself may be the easiest thing.
Did you do any wiring of it?

Andrezed

Joined Nov 26, 2017
Thanks and here are a few additional details and images:
1. The motor is external and independent to the machine
2. A control module moderates speed and variability
3. I am too scared to do any wiring
4. Images attached.

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The Gemsy motor is specified as "direct drive", and is under MCU control. I would guess that the incoming mains is simply rectified to power an inverter in a SMPS. If so, then I too don't see how the mains voltage change would affect the direction of rotation.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Presumably, for some stitching patterns, the motor does need to reverse? Is reversal automatic, or manually/pedal controlled?

Andrezed

Joined Nov 26, 2017
Thanks all. The G&M controller says 50/60Hz. I wonder... Is it possible that the machine is dual voltage? That the controller is only labeled for 110V? They sell would sell the same item for 220V destinations - just with a different fuse? Is that at all within the realm of possibility?

Andrezed

Joined Nov 26, 2017
The latest are brushless BLDC motors and that appears to be one by the look of it.
There are no plug in cables that could get reversed?
Max.
There was no "rewiring" with the rebuild. The motor can not be installed in any other orientation... Hummm... I am sure there is an easy answer - just not coming to me...

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
The G&M controller says 50/60Hz. I wonder... Is it possible that the machine is dual voltage? That the controller is only labeled for 110V? They sell would sell the same item for 220V destinations - just with a different fuse? Is that at all within the realm of possibility?
No! if it says 110V DO NOT run it on 240V.
The frequency has nothing to do with the voltage.
Can you still vary the speed? If so, the motor and controller is probably ok,
If the pedal does not change the direction now then there is something wrong. I would look at that. maybe something got broken in transport.

R.E.

Joined Jul 29, 2017
dendad is on the right track. If you haven't rewired the motor and it operates correctly but in the reverse direction, then the pedal assembly/wiring needs to be looked at. For the sake of electrical safety do not assume anything when it comes to electricity and especially motors. There is a fair amount of energy involved at this level and if you are not careful a serious accident can occur.

Check for loose or broken connections and physical damage first.
Hope this helps.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If it is a BLDC motor as it seems it is, there is a dedicated controller that normally reads the commutation sensors for direction, so it is not easily reversed by accident.
Max.

Andrezed

Joined Nov 26, 2017
All - Thank you and this is the best forum for electronics ever! Further clarification to help with this crazy problem:
1. The motor only turns in one direction - reverse is a mechanical function of the sewing machine.
2. The motor is rotating in reverse - the directional arrow on the hand wheel of the machine is rotating in reverse.
3. Holding the reverse lever down on the machine makes the stitching go forward - just awkward to do this as a permanent fix.
4. There is no other orientation that I can figure out to turn the motor 180 degrees to "mechanically" solve the issue.

How does a motor even know what direction to turn??? Thank again for the help. Our little craft-shop is still quiet.

Andrezed

Joined Nov 26, 2017
No! if it says 110V DO NOT run it on 240V.
The frequency has nothing to do with the voltage.
Can you still vary the speed? If so, the motor and controller is probably ok,
If the pedal does not change the direction now then there is something wrong. I would look at that. maybe something got broken in transport.
Yes control and speed variability works fine. Only issue is directional spin of motor. There has been no rewiring.

Andrezed

Joined Nov 26, 2017
What method is used to reverse the motor? Is it a switch or lever?
Look at that for damage.
This is a mechanical lever connected to the sewing machine. Not electrical switch. This functions just fine - with reverse moving all mechanisms and stitches forward.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
What method is used to reverse the motor?
The sewing machines I'm familiar with use a reverse "gear" mechanical means to sew in reverse not the motor it's self. Because only the feed dogs actually reverse, not the stitch mechanism. The stitch mechanism is 'timed' to make the stitches work, reversing that will only make loops of thread, not actual stitches.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
All - Thank you and this is the best forum for electronics ever! Further clarification to help with this crazy problem:
1. The motor only turns in one direction - reverse is a mechanical function of the sewing machine.
2. The motor is rotating in reverse - the directional arrow on the hand wheel of the machine is rotating in reverse.
3. Holding the reverse lever down on the machine makes the stitching go forward - just awkward to do this as a permanent fix.
4. There is no other orientation that I can figure out to turn the motor 180 degrees to "mechanically" solve the issue.

How does a motor even know what direction to turn??? Thank again for the help. Our little craft-shop is still quiet.
It looks like, from your picture of the motor, that there is a pulley on the motor, so that means there needs to be a belt also. Are you sure that the belt is put on correctly? Some machines with a Vbelt use a 'half twist' to reverse the final drive direction.

Also is this motor original to the machine, or is it a "refit", a different motor being put on the machine? I ask because you mentioned, "There is no other orientation that I can figure out to turn the motor 180 degrees to "mechanically" solve the issue."