Starting with MPLAB X and new hardware

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
PIC micros.

Having worked with Win XP and PicStart Plus, always in Assembly, I will be resuming my activity now with Win 10 on my PC, after an almost three years impasse.

Writing in C is out of question.

To avoid wasting time, I would appreciate suggestions on the following:

a) After downloading MPLAB X ver 5.05, have not managed to download MPASM. It seems that I lost my chance when I was finishing the installation. I am at lost here. EDIT/ SOLVED / EDIT

b) Most recommended hardware. I never used a PicKit. I was even planing to buy an ICD3 !!

c) I would like to implement a few old projects that were 100% functional at the time.

d) I intend to continue, for now, focused on the 18F family.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I program in Assembly and so far find MPLAB-IDE far better than MPLAB-X.
If the PIC's you use can be programmed with Pickit2, use this, I have both 2 & 3 just due to some of the later PIC's but where possible I use any that can done with the Pickit2.
BTW, I mainly use XP .
Max.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I program mostly in assembler but use C as well. I would recommend starting with X and ICD-4. MPLAB 8.xx is at end of life even though many prefer it to X - I still use 8.x for legacy projects that don’t warrant a full port. But X is where it is all going and ICD-4 or PK-4 is the latest lower-cost development gizmo. It just gives you a better path for the future. PK-4 currently supports debug headers for the smaller parts. Note that these are new and don’t support all legacy parts yet. Check the docs for the full list.

Last edited:

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If you don't plan on wading into 'C'- stick with MPLAB 8

MPLABX is full of nightmarish complexity you will not benefit from if writing in assembly.

I wrote assembly exclusively for 20 years, about 2 years ago, I switched over to 'C' - it's just more productive once you get the hang of it.