Starting an HNC in Electrical Engineering - Need Text Book for Beginners

slaine

Joined Sep 30, 2007
i have just started the above course at a college in Scotland. I have been more mechanical bias and never touched this side as off yet.

The lecturer isnt what i would describe as that good at helping us noobs. The workbook she handed out isnt worth the paper it is written on.

So i really need a beginners guide whihc contains ohms law, kirchoffs, thumb rule series and parallel circuits , voltage division , electrostatic and magentic fields and so on

does anyone know of any good books that i can buy either next day deleiver or in a bookshop

i know this has propb been asked a million times so sorry if it has

regards

slaine

slaine

Joined Sep 30, 2007
thanks for the reply, but i cant always be on a pc that has the net so i would require a hard copy then.

thanks anyway

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
This post contains a link to the ebook for the tutorials.

Also take a look in the Electronics Resources forum where you can find a number of links to ebooks on a variety of subjects.

hgmjr

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I would recommend you download a hard-copy of the AAC version of the e-book (although fundamentally the same, it is more up to date than the other version posted by hgmjr because it is updated from the ibiblio.org version which is the basis for this whole project).

Volume I - DC

This should have all you need.

You are also free to print sections of the e-book sections by clicking the Print icon in the upper right-hand corner of the page.

Dave

BrianH

Joined Mar 21, 2007
It used to be that you would do an ONC first, which starts more towards the basics. HNC is a Higher National Diploma - in other words, some Electronics knowledge such as ohm's law etc is assumed. It's probably not impossible for you to do the HNC, but it'll be a lot of work and the best advice I can offer is make sure you commit 100% to it. In fairness to the teacher, it's probably not her job to teach "newbies", she's assuming a certain level of Electronics knowledge.

Brian

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
It used to be that you would do an ONC first, which starts more towards the basics. HNC is a Higher National Diploma - in other words
Brian is right about the ONC, or NC as it is now known. The HNC is a Higher National Certificate, as opposed to different course known as the Higher National Diploma (HND). There two courses are of the same level, and considered of equal value, however the HNC is a 2 year part-time course (12 modules IIRC), and typically conducted along side some form of vocational training such as an NVQ. This is in comparison to the HND which is a 2 year full-time course (16 modules IIRC). They are essentially the same thing, however I have noticed that some universities will allow someone with a HND (though not a HNC) to skip the first year in a degree of the same course.

Additionally, there is an OND analogous to the ONC. And we wonder why most people stick to the GCSE -> A-level route to university! :D

Dave

[/quote]
plz can u tell about the best online college for HNC in electrical engineering and what will be their reqiurement for admission. I am intrested to do HNC in electrical engineering.

[/quote]
plz can u tell about the best online college for HNC in electrical engineering and what will be their reqiurement for admission. I am intrested to do HNC in electrical engineering.