Start/Run Switch Problem with Pump Motor

Mikeysp

Joined May 11, 2016
Hi, I have a Dayton Pump Motor model number PP2LTAA21SBG (pic below) and it stopped working the other day. Someone told me their is a start/run winding switch that must be broken and cannot be repaired.

Can anyone offer some insight as to how we might proceed in repairing the motor? It was working very nicely prior to this.

Thank you kindly for your advice.

-Mike

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When you say stopped working, in what way, does it make any noise when powered but does not turn?
If capacitor start as it says, there could be an internal centrifugal switch or an external current detector relay, can you locate the cap?
Max.

Mikeysp

Joined May 11, 2016
Hi Max. Thank you for your response.

Last time it worked fine until we turned it off. Next time we went to turn it on we heard a buzzing sound, but no rotation. There is an external capacitor. A local plumber we know tried another capacitor thinking it might be the problem but it did not solve it. I wasn't there when this occurredf, my buddy was, so I am assuming the plumber knows about mF and V requirements???

Mikeysp

Joined May 11, 2016
We tried the capacitor and it was good. It looks like it is the centrifugal switch. I will look for some videos on how to change one and find a source for one to purchase. Thank you Max!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
No it is required, it switches the start cap out once it is up to almost full rpm, many start caps are of a construction that will not take AC for more than a couple of seconds.
It could be shorted out purposely and an external type current detect relay fitted. But it would still mean opening up the motor.
Max.