Standard equipment for soldering and making cables

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dor, Feb 26, 2017.

  1. dor

    Thread Starter Well-Known Member

    Feb 20, 2009
    I want to create a cable from a 4-pin Molex connector to a 3-pin fan header, including the "black condom" that is wrapping the end of the wire to the pin.
    See example in this URL.
    This is my first DIY project, obviously I expect more to come.

    I could use your suggestions that will make it easy for me to approach and start this smartly.

    What is the standard equipment needed for tasks such as soldering and making cables?

    This is what I know so far:
    • Soldering Iron:
      How many Watts?
      What is the recommended shape of its head/tip?
    • Solder: Which type/material?
    • Wire Stripper.
    • I guess that I need a 22 AWG Wire.
    • Pliers.
    • Digital MultiMeter.
    What's the official name of that "black condom" and which device enables me to achieve a similar result with it (such as in the URL above)?

    Of course I'll also need the connectors: Molex 4-pin and a 3-pin fan header (which is also Molex but websites somehow omit its official name..).

    I'd appreciate the you'll supply me with the official names/models of the devices which are common and affordable!
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. wayneh


    Sep 9, 2010
    See this post for some ideas.
  3. djsfantasi

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 11, 2010
    I think, but cannot be sure, that what you are calling the "black condom" is heat shrink typing. All you need is appropriately sized tubing and s heat source. The heat source can be as simple as s match or lighter.
  4. wayneh


    Sep 9, 2010
    And remember the most important rule of heat shrink tubing - it has to go on BEFORE you solder all the connections. Sounds obvious, but I'd wager that every one of us has done it wrong at least once.
    Sinus23, boatsman and djsfantasi like this.
  5. KeepItSimpleStupid

    AAC Fanatic!

    Mar 4, 2014
    You don't need a soldering iron to do those cables.

    You need a good quality crimper. The Hozan P-707 is in the low price range. There are crimps for the insulation (more rounded) and the wire and are done separately.

    Only use stranded wire for crimp terminals.

    I recommend a T-stripper or similar. They have both stranded and solid wire versions.

    The terminals can be purchased for different wire ranges. Respect that.

    Tin plated wire seems better. Stranding is available in a less flexible and more flexible style. e.g 6/49 is 6 strands of 49 AWG. A lot of time syou have to dig for this information.

    The black stuff is heat shrink tubing. Certain types are easier to work with than others. Colors are available. Adhesive lined is available.
    Recovered diameter is usually 2:1. 3-1 and even 4:1 is available.

    This type of cutter or similar does not make the cut-off leads fly.
  6. mcgyvr

    AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 15, 2009
    I'd bet they do need to solder the wires onto the smaller 3 pin connector..
    That looks like a through hole header with the wires soldered onto the pins..
    I don't believe they make crimpable terminals for that end of the connector..

    The other "female" side of that would be available in IDC or crimp but usually not the header side which that is..

    And soldering iron will get the job done though..
    KeepItSimpleStupid likes this.