Stand Up Desks In Schools???

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Schools in California are now converting their classrooms from conventional desks to "Stand Ups".

http://www.stand2learn.com/

The claim is that having students stand instead of sit improves their health and the learning process. However, this seems to be a sneaky and underhanded way to relieve school overcrowding by simply removing desks to free up floor space. If more students can be crammed into existing classrooms, politicians won't have to spend $$$ to build new schools.

It's the exact same thing that's being done to relieve crowding on mass transit by removing seats from buses and trains. In addition to seatless schools and transit, cities are building "micro-apartments" of only 100 square feet.

Standing desks, seatless buses and trains, and micro-apartments are yet a noxious sign that the U.S. is being turned into "cattle car" society

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hard to believe that this would come out of a place like California. How is this going to make the kids with disabilities that can't stand feel?

I have a slight curvature of the spine and even at a young age, I could not stand for very long.

There is a fellow that sits across from me on the opposite side of the cube wall that stands. It is really freaky to see him peering over the wall. But that won't last for long as we are suppose to move to a new office where they will do away with cube walls. I will be working from home from that time till the end of my career.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
A lot of people enjoy living in Cali.

Meaning that other regions don't have the Cali problems and don't use "Cali solutions".

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
A lot of people enjoy living in Cali.

Meaning that other regions don't have the Cali problems and don't use "Cali solutions".
I don't enjoy living in Cali and I'm planning on moving out ASAP.

Yeah, I know many will tell me "Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out." However, it's a case of envy for those who are stuck in Cali and hate to see anyone escape.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Well I suppose it's only a natural follow on to the cost cutting phase large organizations are going through. For instance very cheap airline flights; no food served, pay toilets installed. The obvious next step would be to remove the seats, standing only, as anyway all the passengers are getting off at the next stop.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I'm waiting for airlines to remove seats and install vertical gurneys (like the ones paramedics use) with passengers strapped on them in the upright position. Another step toward "Chinaization" of the U.S. where people will be treated like a commodity and live and travel like caged animals.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'm waiting for airlines to remove seats and install vertical gurneys (like the ones paramedics use) with passengers strapped on them in the upright position. Another step toward "Chinaization" of the U.S. where people will be treated like a commodity and live and travel like caged animals.
It is already being considered by at least one airlines. Frankly if the "gurney" is slightly inclined, it might be more comfortable than most conventional seating today.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
It is already being considered by at least one airlines. Frankly if the "gurney" is slightly inclined, it might be more comfortable than most conventional seating today.
At least that might stop air-rage caused by passengers tipping their seat back into the person's lap behind. :p

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I don't enjoy living in Cali and I'm planning on moving out ASAP.

Yeah, I know many will tell me "Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out." However, it's a case of envy for those who are stuck in Cali and hate to see anyone escape.
To each their own I guess.
I'd move back in a heart beat if I had a big bag full of money. :D
Ocean, always 78 degrees, great services, everything grows. Although I must admit I think it rained hard enough twice while I was there that I couldn't finish golf and one morning there was a film of ice on the grass before it warmed up to 78.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
They have been doing this for years in the fast(business). Next time you go to a supermarket check out how many cashiers can sit down while on the job. Worked almost for a year as one, 12 hour shifts. They still owe me money for breaks not fully utilized because when you need to be on your feet for this amount of time sitting down feels like a crime you've committed.:(

But the thing is when it comes to education stuff like this just makes the student wonder again and again "why can't I be sitting while doing this?" which will not help at all when focus is what is needed.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Get with your friends, neighbors and family and home school. Public education is child neglect.
There is a new K thru 12 private education franchise called "Altschool" and they're setting up classrooms at several locations in San Francisco and throughout the region.

Altschool was founded by a large group of employees from the tech industry (like Google, Microsoft, Cisco, et al). who see the public schools as a colossal failure and unable to meet the demand for a competent in science, technology, engineering, and math. There are good public schools, however they are in a district serving middle to upper class neighborhoods.

At any rate, many rightly view the failure of the education system as being a bad omen for the future of the U.S. and the country could collapse like Rome.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
If stand up desks and tables are such a good idea in schools and offices, furniture stores would have gotten rid of chairs a long time ago. However, the market for them is still pretty good. By the way, taking the idea of standing up in the classroom to the next illogical extreme, just get rid of desks completely and have students write on clipboards.