SSD M.2 socket/connector on XPS

MayhemHack

Joined Sep 13, 2020
Hi guys,

Is there anyone who can help with the below?

I recently had to replace an M.2 socket on an XPS laptop, the old one was in very bad condition, and during the replacement 2 of the pads on the motherboard came out.

20200912_183152.jpg

As you can see both pin A and B are not connected at the moment due to the missing pads on the motherboard.

Now, I've tested the SSD, and works fine but I was wondering if someone can let me know if those two pins are redundant and not essential or if it's worth it to wire jump them.
If yes to the last, where I can connect them?

thanks a lot to whoever would like to help.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
They could be multiple grounds or supply pins that allow the device to operate without all of them connected. I wouldn't necessarily call them redundant. Their function could be to reduce current in other pins of the same function or noise suppression.

Here's an example of a SATA pinout:
1599992147041.png

Do you have the pinout for the SSD ?

MayhemHack

Joined Sep 13, 2020
Hi there, thanks for your reply.

I don't have a specific scheme for it, the only thing I've been able to find is the following, but not sure it applies to my case. m.2-ngsff-conflicts.png

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Not sure what NGSFF is, but if it works I'd go for it. Fixing a missing pad on a multilayer board is challenging unless you are sure it connects only to the top (ground?) layer.

They do look like they were once connected to the adjacent large copper pour -- your view is probably better. If that is the case, you could scrape a little of the solder mask off opposite each pin and connect that to the pins with a short piece of 30 AWG wire (aka wirewrap wire) or PCB foil.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Based on the NGSFF diagram and the pin numbers on the board, the two pins are:
8 - N/C (no worry)
44 - Alert# - maybe, maybe not a concern. Try to find what Alert signal is for. If it is to signal some power failure or device failure, it may still function without that signal.
Both those signals are the same for both pinout diagrams.