spst light switch

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I wanted to ask about a spst light switch?

When you hold a Leviton spst light switch up Right so you can Read it the On is Up and the Off is Bottom.

So you Flip the switch to Off on the Bottom.

Now the Top Left is the Ground Screw and the Top Right is the Silver Screw and the Bottom Right is the Brass Screw.

I see some spst light switches that have the Screws on the other side.

Am I Right you just always go by the Color Coed Screws and hold the spst switch so you can Read it?

I Live in the USA just so everybody knows.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Generally SPST light switches do not show any difference in color of terminals.
Brass is reserved for live and silver for Neutral,
There no N usually on a SPST SW so it does not really matter.
The leviton ones I presently have are identical, i.e. both Brass.
In N.A. UP is ON. for SPST.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Up is typically the convention for light switches. Up is most always up, though right now I have a switch installed upside down. Down is on, and it bugs the heck out of the wife. I suppose I should fix it one day. Just not today.
:)

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The different colored screws would typically identify the common terminal in s 3-way switch. At least that is where I have seen them. Also in a double switch assembly with 2 switches, or one switch and one outlet, or one switch and an indicator light.
So I wonder just what sort of switch the TS is actually describing.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
There is no standard for the location of the screws. Both left, both right, both sides upper corners, both sides lower corners - all possible combinations are out there somewhere.

In the US, toggle lever down = OFF. I recently saw a video clip that said it is different in Europe, but I have not confirmed this. I'm sure some of our British members with continental experience can speak to this.

ak

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In the US, toggle lever down = OFF. I recently saw a video clip that said it is different in Europe, but I have not confirmed this. I'm sure some of our British members with continental experience can speak to this.
In the UK it is just the opposite, Down = ON, on moving to Canada it took me a while to get used to it! o_O