iraJa

Joined Feb 18, 2023
I was curious about the possibility of essentially using hydraulics, a gearbox, and spring for energy storage. For example what is the feasibility of using a large coil spring with a compression distance of say 5 ft, with a pressure of something like 50,000 PSI. This is the battery cell, to recharge it is a hydraulic cylinder and pump wouldn't take any more than a few minutes I think to reset the spring, with a gear reduction clockwork mechanism for power output. Could the stored energy of the spring be used to compress a second spring by way of hydraulics?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Could the stored energy of the spring be used to compress a second spring by way of hydraulics?
Yes, but you will lose some energy in the process.

Edited to add: Spring energy storage has been used in clocks and wind up toys for centuries.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The largest "Energy-Storage-Device" made by Man,
is probably a Hydro-Electric-Dam,
like the "Three-Gorges-Dam" in China.

Springs and Weights are usually too large to be practical,
and You always get out less than You put in.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
In the case of purely physical energy storage systems, i think flywheels are one of the better choices. You spin it up with a motor and once it gets spinning it's hard to stop so you can tap off mechanical energy from that. Obviously the size, shape, and mass effect the amount of energy stored.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
In the case of purely physical energy storage systems, i think flywheels are one of the better choices. You spin it up with a motor and once it gets spinning it's hard to stop so you can tap off mechanical energy from that. Obviously the size, shape, and mass effect the amount of energy stored.
Also used in toys. Remember the little cars you would push quickly on the floor and the let it go and it keep running for a few seconds?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Remember the Gyrobus ?
Hi,

I remember them experimenting with cars too but not sure what became of that except of course i dont see any of them on the road today.

BTW from what i understand Tesla is giving other car makes the OK for using their charging stations now, and Tesla users are upset because they say the stations are already too crowded.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Tesla is giving other car makes the OK for using their charging stations now
Re-read your source. They are not giving access "now". Some time in the future, and some restrictions (concessions) before final decision is made - another attempt to collect federal money by Musk. It sounds like the 2400 least busy chargers in their network will be offered by the end of 2024. He will get a multi-billion dollar payment from Uncle Sam for being so "kind". No word about the price per kW-h for non-Tesla users.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
After watching the horizontal or vertical "spinner bots" on the battle bots show, I could bet the GyroBis wasn't easy to turn because of the huge gyro.
That would be a real problem with a car, you get a torque at right angles to the steering torque. The solution is two counter-rotating flywheels.

Edited to add: You can actually feel the extra torque in a single engine prop plane.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I could bet the GyroBus wasn't easy to turn because of the huge gyro.
The gyro axis for a single gyro system would have to be vertical to allow the bus to turn left or right (yaw), but a sudden dip or bump in the road (pitch) would introduce huge forces trying to roll the bus over. Probably why we don't see gyro-powered vehicles on the roads today.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Gyro-Stabilizing-Systems are readily available for (Expensive) Boats / Pleasure-Craft,
they work amazingly well in demo-Videos,
but I have no idea about how they can actually control the motion of the whole Boat,
without any Rudders or other Control-Surfaces.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Gyro-Stabilizing-Systems are readily available for (Expensive) Boats / Pleasure-Craft,
they work amazingly well in demo-Videos,
but I have no idea about how they can actually control the motion of the whole Boat,
without any Rudders or other Control-Surfaces.
I think you are confused between "stabilizing" a boat and turning a boat.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You'll have to admit that virtually eliminating Roll in a ~10 to ~20,000-pound Boat is an amazing feat.
And they do it with a box that's about ~2-feet-cubed.

( I'm Coast-Guard-Certified for all-Small-Craft, (since 10-years old),
with well over ~2500-hours operating in Salt-Water, so I do know how Boats work )