spring-loaded cable spool

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Is it possible to have a corded device (snow-thrower say) that has the cord spring controlled i.e. the cord would not fold and get destroyed but would be retract/extend -able as controlled by a spring-loaded spool?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Of course, but they are usually limited to about ~25-feet long,
and usually only ~16ga Wire,
which is completely inadequate for a Snow-Blower.

You can get them from McMaster-Carr, or Grainger, or Napa-Auto-Parts.

That's why they make Gas-Powered-Snow-Blowers,
a Snow-Blower needs a lot of reserve-power, and needs to be completely ambulatory.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Something like https://www.amazon.com/Retractable-Power-Cord-Reel/s?k=Retractable+Power+Cord+Reel

The only problem is they are are designed to lock in position, but that can probably be defeated with a little work. I don't know what kind of power requirements a snow thrower has, but I would imagine a 14 gauge one would work for most of the electric types I have seen.
Thanks. Now have to figure out how to defeat the lock. Guess ones w.o. lock are not available.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You likely will have to operate with the blower always going in the same direction (backing up on the return) otherwise the cord will get tangled or twisted.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Any chance of getting some advice as to how to defeat the lock?
Unfortunately no. What they usually amount to is a notched lever that engages a small toothed section in the spool as you are pulling the cord out. The toothed section is only a few degrees of the spool and if you pull enough cord out the lever falls off the toothed section and will allow the spool to retract. If you only pull enough that the lever stays in the toothed section the spool will lock in place when it tries to retract. At least this how most hose reels work and I suspect electrical reels work the same way. There has to be some sort of spring loaded contacts also to transfer the power from the cord to the reel, but once again I am not much help.

I would think you could take it apart, remove the locking lever, and reassemble it. The trick is going to be to figure how which half needs to be on top when you take it apart, and which half the spool needs to come apart with.