SPI CHIP SELECT IN FPGA

AraugelLearnings

Joined May 13, 2022
Hi,

How many chip select we can use for one SPI controller in FPGA? is there any limitation!

I'm using Intel stratix 10 GX FPGA it supports only 4 SPI , I need to use more for that i thought of using more than one chip select.

Regards,

Aravind D

simozz

Joined Jul 23, 2017
I don't know Stratix architecture, but in general there aren't limitations on the slave devices number.

You might consider implementing your own SPI controller with many CS as you want.

s.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Hi,

How many chip select we can use for one SPI controller in FPGA? is there any limitation!

I'm using Intel stratix 10 GX FPGA it supports only 4 SPI , I need to use more for that i thought of using more than one chip select.

Regards,

Aravind D
When you say it supports "only 4"
Where do you read that from.
If I have the right one , these FPGAs have a hard processor and a programmable side.
The hard processor , will have a spi controller block built in , and it will Have a pre defined number of chip select pins on that controller.
But , using the fpga side of the chip, you can add your own spi controller, either from the built in up, or a open source one or your own design .
Other options include updating the spi driver to use the gpio pins as chip selects and ignoring the built in chip select pins.