speed control

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Try adjusting the small potentiometer and see if you can run any slower.
A couple of options, there is many designs for simple Triac controllers out there on the web, you maybe able to adapt or modify the one you have as they traditionally go down to zero rpm.
It may mean that you would have to reverse-engineer the present one and draw the circuit out, which in this case is very simple.
There is also another option with a Universal motor, there are some similar to what you have from the same supplier, but PWM for DC motors, which you can use on your Universal motor, the only thing you will need is a bridge rectifier and maybe an electrolytic capacitor, this version should also take you down to zero rpm.
Max.

iowdave

Joined Oct 10, 2014
thank you both for your replys i dont really understand but trying to learn is there a simple diagram i can search for on google sorry to be thick but thats why im here.. for help cheers

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are quit a few similar to the one ISB123 posted, just Google Triac controller, some have the component lists for them.
Also it would be worth tracing out the one you have as a learning curve, it only has half a dozen components.
Max.

iowdave

Joined Oct 10, 2014
hi jw cheers for reply i havnt yet only just understood what it does so i will be trying that first..this mornings.. thanks

iowdave

Joined Oct 10, 2014
hello ..just a little update turning the screw on the trim pot slows it down a lot but just not to zero so thanks to you ppl im getting somewhere now thanks

iowdave

Joined Oct 10, 2014
hi max thanks would you know which id need to change and which rating to start with please any other help appreciated

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Like I mentioned before, if you were to use a similar circuit as an example and trace the existing circuit connections out, it should be possible to suggest a change, probably to a resistor connected to the blue trim pot.
Max.