Speed control for record player - converting rotary switch

Ben Sidebotham

Joined May 30, 2016
I would like to convert the speed dial on a record player I am modding to a two button system. The dial has three positions: OFF, A, B (corresponding to 33 and 45 rpm). The control I would like is two buttons. When A is pushed, the player spins at 33 rpm. If A is pressed again, it turns OFF. If B is pressed it spins at 45 rpm, irrespective of whether A is ON or not.

My first thought is that I want two latching switches with a mechanism that breaks the other switch before making itself. Is there a name for this type of switch or a simple way of achieving this?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I would like to convert the speed dial on a record player I am modding to a two button system. The dial has three positions: OFF, A, B (corresponding to 33 and 45 rpm). The control I would like is two buttons. When A is pushed, the player spins at 33 rpm. If A is pressed again, it turns OFF. If B is pressed it spins at 45 rpm, irrespective of whether A is ON or not.

My first thought is that I want two latching switches with a mechanism that breaks the other switch before making itself. Is there a name for this type of switch or a simple way of achieving this?
What to need is an interlock push button swithch. There is a wide selection on AliExpress and probably on Amazon and E-bay too.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What is the anticipated benefit of making this change,? and if the speed change is mechanical, as it was on many turntables, it is not economicly possible.