spdt switch to power two lights

happirt

Joined Aug 12, 2017
i have a SPDT toggle switch and trying to power two lights when switch is up and only power one light when switch is down, both lights off when switch is in the middle (neutral), how can i achieve this? i am using simple led strip lights, dc powered.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Do you mean when the switch is in one position One light comes on, and in the other position the other light comes on or both lights,?? if you want both lights on on the second position, you will need a Shockley steering diode.

SPDT_Diagram_2.jpg

Last edited:

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
If the supply is DC then it can be done using a diode. Connect the supply to the common. Connect one lamp to each of the other contacts and also connect a diode between these contacts. One lamp will be slightly dimmer when it is being powered via the diode due to the diode's forward volts drop. (About 0.6 volts for a silicon diode or 0.2 volts for a germanium diode.
Edit. I see Dave has beat me to the answer.

Les.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
R1 & R2 will have to be different values, depending on the voltage of your circuit. If you know how to calculate the resistance needed for each LED (both single and in series) then you should have no problems. You need to know the forward voltage of each LED as well. There's a lot more to it than a simple diagram, but I've given you the basic. The switch, as you described, is a single pole, double throw with a center off (no contact for center off). Drawn below, this will provide the circuit you asked for.

LED & Switch.gif