Spartan3 Problem

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
There are facilities to check what is programmed in flash. You can read out flash and check it against your MCS file to make sure it was programmed. Also, several programs can be in a flash if it's large enough, so there might be a way on the board to set the address from which the program will be loaded into the device. I can't remember what the Spartan board has. But check everything. If your manual has a turtorial on flash programming, follow it to the letter. You might find a mistake in your setup.

If you still can't solve the issue, you might try a fresh download of the web based Xilinx tools.

FWIW, I don't think you have a board problem. It's just a puzzle for you to solve.

Bogdan911

Joined Apr 8, 2013
Funny thing is that the Flash memory shouldn't have worked at all according to the manual. No jumper connection = flash memory disabled... So it's a true mystery for me at the moment :D

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Oh one more thing. Have you removed the jumper from the board completely? The flash will be enabled unless the jumper is completely removed.

Bogdan911

Joined Apr 8, 2013
Yes i cycled power after programming it and then it started running what configuration I had programmed.

I'm now pretty sure the LEDs are supposed to be offline when the board is in standby,found this in the Manual.

The cathode of each LED connects to ground via a 270Ω resistor. To light an individual
LED, drive the associated FPGA control signal High, which is the opposite polarity from
lighting one of the 7-segment LEDs.

LE: Yes i've removed the jumper completely.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Yes i cycled power after programming it and then it started running what configuration I had programmed.
Ok, that's great news!

I'm now pretty sure the LEDs are supposed to be offline when the board is in standby,found this in the Manual.
So you're telling me that the device runs the new configuration, but the LED's are still lit?

The cathode of each LED connects to ground via a 270Ω resistor. To light an individual
LED, drive the associated FPGA control signal High, which is the opposite polarity from
lighting one of the 7-segment LEDs.
Is the new configuration you're running from flash the same as the one you programmed via JTAG? Did the LED's remain on after programming your configuration by JTAG?

Bogdan911

Joined Apr 8, 2013
The 8 LEDs are lit up when the board isn't running any configuration. Any configuration that I load into it will run as expected(if i'm not using the LEDs they will be off) but after I press the reset button or simply unplug and replug the board all of the 8 LEDs will be lit up.

LE: And I've seen boards like mine plugged in and the LEDs were off by default with no configuration loaded into them.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The 8 LEDs are lit up when the board isn't running any configuration. Any configuration that I load into it will run as expected(if i'm not using the LEDs they will be off) but after I press the reset button or simply unplug and replug the board all of the 8 LEDs will be lit up.
Ok, I'm confused. You said your configuration was running from flash. If you unplug and replug the board, your configuration is still in flash, and it should run in you device.

LE: And I've seen boards like mine plugged in and the LEDs were off by default with no configuration loaded into them.
I understand. That's what we're trying to get to the bottom of.

Bogdan911

Joined Apr 8, 2013
I'm not using the Flash Memory to load my configuration,I'm loading it directly to the FPGA. The flash memory is disabled. I simply tested if the flash memory was working since you pointed out that might be the problem.

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Well, we're just going around in circles, because you told me you cycled power after programming and the device ran your configuration. You could only do that if you were running form flash. Only thing I can suggest at this point is try a different board.

Bogdan911

Joined Apr 8, 2013
I cycled power to see if the Flash Memory had been rewritten with a configuration I had at hand to test out you're theory.
In the impact window I have:
-2 Chips XC3S400 and the flash memory XCF02S(which is disabled by having no jumper)
-I plug in the board the 8 leds light up.
-I load my .bit file in the XC3S400 and it works as instructed.
-After pressing the reset button or plugging out and in the 8 leds light up. And the Program LED on the board is not lit... So that means that no configuration is currently running on the board.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
So let me get this straight. You can run your program from flash, and you can configure the device directly. If you have flash enabled, you can cycle power and your program runs. You can also program your device via JTAG. The only problem you have is if there is no configuration running, the LED's light up.

That would be odd, but doens't look like it would keep you from completeing your assignment.

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I think we've done everything we can to fix it. If it's not a problem with the flash, the only other things is the FPGA itself, and you aren't about to go changing that. I seriously wouldn't worry about it burning up. The device is old and doing weird things, it's time will be when it's time is up.

Bogdan911

Joined Apr 8, 2013
I see, well it being a gift, it would have been a shame if I didn't try to fix it since it's basically mine now. It's true it's old 2004 hardware, well I hope it won't break anytime soon.
I appreciate the help and I'm sorry for the confusion :).