Sparkles coming out from the potentiometer

Don_Fila

Joined Nov 26, 2021
Potentiometer keeps burning or sparkles coming out of it when I try to turn it from the lowest to highest vice versa. Please can you tell me what is wrong and how to resolve it. 20220810_090251.jpg

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
That's not the conventional circuit.
Is the 100W load inductive or just resistive?
What is the triac rating?
Edit: Try increasing the 100R resistor to 10k to fix the problem, if the load is resistive and the triac rating is correct for the circuit.

Last edited:

Don_Fila

Joined Nov 26, 2021
That's not the conventional circuit.
Is the 100W load inductive or just resistive?
What is the triac rating?
Edit: Try increasing the 100R resistor to 10k to fix the problem, if the load is resistive and the triac rating is correct for the circuit.
The triac is bta16 and the load is 100 watt incandescent bulb.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
can you tell me what is wrong and how to resolve it.
You're using the pot in an inappropriate manner and it's working voltage is not likely to be high enough for your application.

Your schematic is not drawn in a style that's easy to read. Stick to monochrome. Using colors reflects poorly on your skills.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Many of use worked in electronics when the only color in a schematic was blue, so I for one find color in a schematic to be distracting - drawing attention when no special attention is needed. Technologies change, time marches on...

This might be useful to you. Your original circuit did not have a diac in series with the gate. The diac helps the traic switch on cleanly. You can simulate a diac with a pair of inexpensive transistors:
1660169961094.png
Leave the bases disconnected. The extra resistor and capacitor are there to extend the dimming range.