Sound spectrum analyzer-difficulty detecting sound with a sound module

Amina96

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Hey all! I'm very happy to have discovered this website.
So my project was to make a sound spectrum analyzer (circuit in the attachment) and the software part is fine, but I have a problem with the microphone. I should note that my microphone does NOT have adjustable gain like in the picture, I am using MAX9812 (also in the attachment). Even though the module has an integrated circuit, the OLED display only shows something when signal has a single frequency and is very intense (loud), and this is done by using a frequency generator on my phone and bringing it very very close to the microphone.
I have been trying to build a circuit on my own using an electret microphone, LM324 op-amp and some capacitors and resistors but have failed everytime.
Does anyone have any brilliant ideas?
Btw, sorry if I missed some essential information, just ask and I'll write it as soon as possible. The circuit that I built is also in the attachments (I took it from some previous post) but still doesn't work.
I hope someone can help :) I would really like to understand this.

Amina

Attachments

Amina96

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Welcome to AAC!
What is the amplitude of the microphone output?
Welcome to AAC!
What is the amplitude of the microphone output?
I'm probably going to give a vague answer to this:
Since my supply is 3.3 V, a very loud noise (or a tap on the microphone etc. gives me peak-to-peak around 700 on the serial plotter (from 0 to 700 and the range is from 0 to 1023)

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
In your pre-amp circuit you show one end of the potentiometer R1 connected to ground. That is wrong. If the pot is at one extreme position, the output of the op-amp is shorted to ground. At the other extreme, the gain will be unity.
Disconnect the end of R1 from ground and leave it connected as a variable resistor between pins 1 and 2. You will then be able to adjust the gain correctly. from unity to about x 500 (depending on the open loop gain of the op-amp you are using).

Last edited: