Sound off your quals

What are your qualifications

• Total voters

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Does this just pertain to electronics? There I'm a hobbyist. But am a master die/mold maker by trade and training. So not sure how to answer the poll.
I guess if I were you, I'd pick Hobbyist & skilled trade, and then make a comment explaining that I'm a master die/mold maker by trade and training.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yes, it can also perform circular interpolation. But in my experience, most curves can be broken into segments whose angle does not make for a cathetus larger than 0.005" ... That works pretty well for sheet metal works and signage applications.

That's why continuous routing capabilities is the holy grail of my research...
We're going to split this off into a thread of its own.

Moved to this thread.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Surprising the number of mathematicians and electrical and electronic geniuses that had no formal education.
One was George Boole, who rarely gets recognized, who became a mathematician, among other things.
He had a primary school education, and received lessons from his father, but had little further formal and academic teaching.
He is the father of a math language many here use, Boolean Arithmetic.
The Irony is, when he invented it, there was no real practical use for it, compared with today.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Here's another that would find a problem finding a category here, were he around. Probably 'Other'! :)

Michael Faraday born in south London. His family was not well off so he received only a basic formal education.
When he was 14, he was apprenticed to a local bookbinder and during the next seven years, educated himself by reading books.
Max.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Max has reminded me of another of my "qualifications" and an amusing bit of trivia. Albert Einstein failed Algebra...and so did I.:D
I assume Albert re-took the course. I certainly did!
I failed the first two courses I took in U.S. Navy Nuclear Power (Nuke Electrician's Mate) A-school; "Basic Math" and "Basic Electricity."
Two course failures and they kick you out of the school and send you elsewhere. So being a Nuke was not in the cards for me.
It was the first time in my life that I ever tried my damnedest at something and failed. I took it on the chin.
That is why I'm here now; why I'm passionate about electronics. I made it my mission to learn what they said I wasn't capable of learning.
Learn it I did, and I could go back now and teach those classes I failed.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It was the first time in my life that I ever tried my damnedest at something and failed.
You ain't the only one! I have zero talent at working with curves in the real world. I absolutely can not draw lifelike figures or do auto body work. I'm lucky lumber is mostly straight because, if it wasn't, I couldn't build so much as a paper towel holder.:(