Sound attenuation across materials...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Externet, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Externet

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Hi.
    Do you know of some attenuation tables of sound crossing different materials ?
    Like from air to air across 1mm vinyl barrier, or silicone barrier, glass, latex, polyethilene, oil, steel, aluminium... Or what to expect from microphones enclosed/behind varied materials.
    And across different thicknesses of various materials ? I suppose the thickness of the barrier is directly proportional to the attenuation.
    There is decent Wikipage on acoustic impedance, resistance, reactance, admittance, susceptance, conductance...
    Does anyone know about tables ?

2. ebeowulf17

Aug 12, 2014
    I've got a book at home somewhere that has a lot of what you're describing, although I seem to remember it focusing on typical interior wall and floor materials more than silicone, latex, oil, etc. The book is called The Master Handbook of Acoustics, and it's brilliant! Regardless of whether or not it covers every material you're researching, I think it's an incredible resource and worth picking up.

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have sixteen ways to sound proof a room, and a book on controlling sound in a performance environment, but the various materials you seek are not in my inventory.:(

4. Externet

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Thanks, guys.
    Aiming the reverse of sound-proofing. Enclosing an electret microphone in a fully hermetic something long-lived material to protect from corrosive environment with least attenuation from the barrier.
    Latex not being long-life, wondering about others like cellophane, kitchen wrap film...

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    How about encapsulating it in Epoxy? The mike would be wrapped in a thin film and the Epoxy pored over it. The rubber type coverings don't conduct sound as good as something stiff and hard.

A good PDF on sound propagation.
    sdngnet.com/Files/Lectures/FUTA-ARC-507/.../Propagation%20of%20Sound.pdf

A lot of other stuff on Google. https://www.google.com/search?q=sou...-4jVAhXDJiYKHTLIBKUQvwUIIygA&biw=1024&bih=659

6. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Google - hydrophone construction. The one by UCONN, Simple Hydrophone Design looks interesting.
    Prob. could make it simpler for 10 ft. depth.