Sonar sensor

Jason78

Joined May 26, 2016
Hi thanks for letting me join , I am looking to identify this image?
I recently opened up the sensor to my fish finder and in doing so damaged this component .
I am desperate to try and find a matching product and repair the sensor .
Any help gratefully received .​

Attachments

Jason78

Joined May 26, 2016
John I think you have cracked it mate Just need to find a supplier of the one I require now .

Thank you

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Nichron is a very big supplier, but you do not need that brand. And, any voltage ≥4V that will fit will work fine. You may find 6.3 volt more common.

SMD electrolytics do not save much space. I have used regular radial-lead electrolytics as replacements. Just bend the leads to right angles.

John

Jason78

Joined May 26, 2016
John

I found an ideal match through eBay from Germany .
Thanks for your help guys it's appreciated , one more question due to the shape of the capacitor is there an easy way to Salder them in place ?
The contacts are hidden under a plastic frame and I don't want to make a mess of said frame with the soldering iron ?

Thanks guys

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Soldering SMD electrolytic caps take a little skill, but not much. It is like soldering any other device with pads under the device. Be sure the joint is hot enough and use a good-flowing solder. I suggested the radial lead version, as that may be easier for you to solder , if you lack experience.

John

Jason78

Joined May 26, 2016
Thanks bertus

Do they have + and - markings on the capacitor?
Or is there a trick of the trade I need to be aware of ?

Thanks

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

On the picture jpanhalt posted and the picture of the diveice show a black bar on the capacitor.
Keep the black bar on the same side.

Bertus

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The black bar indicates the negative leg of capacitor. If you need to verify it's orientation on the board, use an ohm meter to find out which solder pad is "ground". (Only if it is not a positive ground circuit, which is not very common but they DO exist so keep that in mind)
The black bar side of the undamaged capacitor should ohm out with the proper negative pad of the one you are replacing. That is where I would start checking first.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
If you look at the silkscreen outline for the capacitor you will see that 2 corners are "clipped" The capacitor should have a plastic base with the same shape. Just install the new cap with the same orientation as the sikscreen.