Something to Split Power / Volatage

THRobinson

Joined Jun 7, 2018
Hey guys... I'm an old guy who is new to electronics as a hobby, my knowledge is VERY basic for this stuff.

I had an idea the other day to build a project using a RaspberryPi and an old laptop LCD. I see on eBay there are a lot of controllers for old laptop screens and my sisters work gave me all their old laptops so, I have a lot here and hopefully can find a controller for it. I also have a RaspberryPi here loaded up with arcade games. You know where this is headed.

I was planning on a full cabinet... in which case I'd have a power bar inside, a computer monitor, the RaspPi AC adapter etc, loots of room. I decided I wanted to build something super compact, briefcase sized.

Is there some sort of power splitter I can get/modify that allows me to use the 19v laptop AC adapter, and basically split it's power to a 5v 2.5A outlet for the RaspPi, and 12v 3A for the LCD controller?

Ideally I want a since AC adapter powering the whole project, instead of a since power cord with 5lbs of adapters and plugs inside.

Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hey guys... I'm an old guy who is new to electronics as a hobby, my knowledge is VERY basic for this stuff.

I had an idea the other day to build a project using a RaspberryPi and an old laptop LCD. I see on eBay there are a lot of controllers for old laptop screens and my sisters work gave me all their old laptops so, I have a lot here and hopefully can find a controller for it. I also have a RaspberryPi here loaded up with arcade games. You know where this is headed.

I was planning on a full cabinet... in which case I'd have a power bar inside, a computer monitor, the RaspPi AC adapter etc, loots of room. I decided I wanted to build something super compact, briefcase sized.

Is there some sort of power splitter I can get/modify that allows me to use the 19v laptop AC adapter, and basically split it's power to a 5v 2.5A outlet for the RaspPi, and 12v 3A for the LCD controller?

Ideally I want a since AC adapter powering the whole project, instead of a since power cord with 5lbs of adapters and plugs inside.

Thanks
The generic answer is yes, provided you do not violate the immutable rule of DC-DC power conversion. The immutable rule is this:

Power out will ALWYS be less than power in. Sometimes it will be much less.

So your power out requirements are:

5V @ 2.5 A = 12.5 Watts, and​
12V @ 3A = 36 Watts​
For a total of 48.5 Watts​
For a back of the envelope calculation, I normally estimate the efficiency of a conversion scheme at 80%. It might be better, but if it is worse an alternative should be considered. So that means the required input power required is:

48.5 Watts (out) / 0.80 ≈ 61 Watts (in)​
So long as the laptop can supply in excess of 61 watts you have a chance to make this work.

At this point, what you want to do is look for appropriate DC-DC converters that you can purchase. I would not recommend that you try to design and build your own DC-DC converters at this point. When you find some candidates check back to see if you have understood what the vendor is telling you.

THRobinson

Joined Jun 7, 2018
Thanks for the information... I was hoping it was "theoretically" do-able... I figured a laptop has a screen, hard drive, motherboard and fans to power... I'm replacing the motherboard/fans/harddrive with the RaspPi which is basically an even smaller motherboard so, the PSU from the laptop should be enough.

The idea is to put the screen and RaspPi into a thin wide wedge shaped box, that can sit on a table or on your lap, joystick on the left, buttons on the right, screen in the middle. Basically, a 2 foot wide handheld game console. That's why weight is a concern as is the number of cables out the back.

So, something like a pair of these? Then split the input 19v using something like a terminal block.... run a pair of wires to one board set at 12v and another set to 5v?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/223524573272?hash=item340b1a5058:g:zX8AAOSwcD5c4ynR

THRobinson

Joined Jun 7, 2018
Says 19.5v 4.6A on the AC adapter in front of me... I have a few here, but this is the one from the laptop I'm now dismantling.

So.... in theory so far....

- AC adapter (19V / 4.6A)
- Terminal block for splitting
- Two DC-DC step-down boards (set to 12V and 5.1V)
- RaspPi v3 B (Plugged into USB joystick controller and small USB fan)
- LCD controller board (Plugged into LCD screen)

LCD controller and RaspPi both have 3.5mm audio jacks for speakers. Don't want to put too much a load on the RaspPi else get that lightning bolt error.

But... with that list, some wire and solder... doable?

THRobinson

Joined Jun 7, 2018
Just took the laptop apart... and yes! I can get an adapter....

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/353424067240?hash=item5249b74aa8:g:qOgAAOSwKThgUxlI

LCD Controller Board:

HDMI DVI VGA AUDIO LCD Board Work for LVDS Interface LCD Screen
Input Power Adapter: 12Vdc More than 2A.
Come In Standby Model When Not Input Signal
Standby Model <1W
Video Input: HDMI DVI VGA
Audio Input: HDMI
Audio Output: Speaker Connector
OSD: Brightness Contrast Auto Language And So On
Language: English French German Spanish And So On
Board Size: 125mm x 58mm x 17mm